Today we have a guest blog from Findlay Wilde, a 16 year old conservationist, ringer, birder, environmental blogger and campaigner. Findlay is working hard to protect nature, and raise awareness about hen harrier persecution.

Whenever I get asked to write a blog about my thoughts and feelings towards hen harriers, I start with such enthusiasm, but as I get into the detail I feel my energy start to fade, in just the same way our hen harrier numbers are fading away. As I write this, the news that Aalin has gone missing is fresh in my mind. News like this instantly turns my thoughts to Finn, and when I heard about Aalin going missing I automatically checked my emails to see if a recent update had come through on Finn’s whereabouts. Fortunately she continues to do well; against the odds.

When this blog is posted, I can almost sense some of the words from certain people saying “oh here he goes again, same old story, same old words”. But guess what, it is the same old story, as the persecution just doesn’t let up. It would be amazing to be able to write about a positive change, about how hen harrier numbers have started to increase, about how more prosecutions are taking place; but that time is sadly not right now.

In November 2017, Findlay was invited to 10 Downing Street to talk about environmental policy with the prime minister’s environmental advisor.

Skydancers should be starting their dances, if not already, then very soon across our uplands. They should be soaring in good numbers, they should be pairing up with ease, but this is not the “same old story” we can tell.

But do you know which “same old stories” I am fed up of hearing? Well for one it’s the denial that raptor persecution is even happening. Let’s think about that for a minute. The habitat is available in England to support over 300 pairs of hen harriers. We know the food source is there. We hear that grouse moors are great for ground nesting birds. So where are the hen harriers? Just 3 pairs bred successfully in England last year. Such a disgraceful statistic.  

Another “same old story” I am fed up of hearing is that global hen harrier numbers are not at risk, so there is no need to worry about the UK decline. I can’t believe that people think this is okay on any level. Firstly, there are reports that indicate European numbers of hen harrier are actually in slow decline. Secondly, and more importantly, this in no way excuses allowing a species to become almost extinct as a breeding bird in England.  If that theory was acceptable, then why try to protect any species in the UK if it is a species that is native to other countries. It is the most infuriating and small minded argument that I repeatedly hear.

We are so quick to criticise other countries for declines in iconic species, and yet we have serious issues on our own doorstep that are being caused by illegal activity. We must keep calling this out.

So when this blog gets posted, I will be ready for the excuses some people will tweet, I will be ready for the insulting private messages that always follow, I will be ready for the people that will tell me I am wrong; but as I have already said, I have heard these “same old stories” too many times.

The tide is turning. Awareness is building. Change is coming. The story is being re-written.

Findlay recently created this card to raise awareness of hen harriers, capturing the words that came into people’s heads when he said ‘hen harrier’.

Parents
No Data
Comment
  • $core_v2_ui.GetResizedImageHtml($comment.User.AvatarUrl, 44, 44, "%{border='0px', alt=$comment.User.DisplayName, ResizeMethod='ZoomAndCrop'}")
    $core_v2_ui.UserPresence($comment.User.Id) $comment.User.DisplayName
    This comment is under review.
Children
No Data