More excellent news from the North... In a previous blog, I mentioned that two of the five females that fledged from the North Tynedale nest in 2008 were fitted with radio transmitters. I also noted that one of the radio-tagged juveniles was picked up flying over Bowland, Lancashire, and the other - number 246, a.k.a Rainbow Dancer - was presumed dead since the last signal from her was back in August 2008. Many hen harriers don't make it through their first winter.

But, over the weekend, the Geltsdale team were out with their tracking equipment and they suddenly picked up a signal from 246 in the Cheviots (as noted by Pete in his blog on 23 March). It is likely that she has spent the winter in Scotland.

Now, bear in mind two things: One third of all hen harrier chicks in a nest will not live to see the following spring. And, we have just had the coldest winter in 18 years. The fact that at least two out of the five chicks that fledged last year are still going strong (that's more than one third by the way) means these individuals are no ordinary hen harriers. These are tough Geordie hen harrier lasses!

As Stephen Murphy - a hen harrier expert based in the North West - said in an email to me today, "What a girl!". Quite.