• The Cirl Bunting Conservation Project

Guest blog by Cirl Bunting Project Manager Cath Jeffs

My first encounter with cirl buntings was as a student studying Conservation Management in the 1980s. A group of us were on a birding trip and heading to Penzance. We took a detour to Prawle Point (the most southerly point in Devon) to see if we could find the rare and elusive cirl bunting. We eventually found a pair on our way back to the car park (how often do you…

• The twite aren’t alright

England Twite Recovery Project Officer Katie Aspin talks about how the RSPB is working with farmers in the South Pennines to reverse the fortunes of twite.

Twite are hardy seed eating finches that live in remote upland and coastal areas, mainly in Scotland but with small numbers in North Wales, Northern Ireland and the Pennines.

In England, twite were once a common sight in the Pennines, so much so that they gained…

• Science at Hope Farm: making a difference for bees - guest blog by Sophie Chaudhari

I am a BA Zoology third year undergraduate student at Anglia Ruskin University, with a keen interest in understanding how organisms interact within their environment.

During the summer of 2017, I conducted a study to find out how bees are effected by different flower densities in field margins.

This research could be beneficial in gaining a wider perspective on what society can do to aid the prevention of bee loss in…