• From the field: wader update from the Upper Thames

Every July I swear I won’t do it again. I’m tired after squeezing fieldwork into every possible hour for the last four months. I’m covered in itchy insect bites. And I’ve worn a hole in yet another pair of boots. I’m definitely not doing this again.

And every following spring I do.

Because as the frosts and morning mists of winter give way to spring sunshine, and green shoots start appearing…

• Landowners and conservationists unite - new Turtle Dove Friendly Zone is the first of its kind in Essex

RSPB Press Release

A new landscape scale conservation initiative is bringing together farmers, landowners, businesses, communities and conservation organisations near Maldon, to help one of Britain’s fastest declining birds, the turtle dove.

The ‘Turtle Dove Friendly Zone’ – the first of its kind in Essex – has been established as part of Operation Turtle Dove, a multi-partner project that…

• Share your views on technical farming events

If you're involved in agriculture, we'd be very interested to hear about the technical farming events you attend during the course of the year, and what appeals to you about them.

If you have a couple of minutes to spare, you can complete our very brief questionnaire here and share your thoughts with us.

The questionnaire will only take a few minutes to complete, and will help us to ensure that we attend the right…

• Going with the grain for farmland birds

Meadow pipits and redwings were trickling steadily overhead, fieldfares called ‘chak chak’ in the distance and reed buntings ducked deep into wild bird seed mixes. I stood in an open field – one of a group of figures each wrapped up against the wind – and reflected that it was turning into a pretty good day.

It was the first event organised for farmers taking part in the Axholme and Idle farmland…