• Announcements on RDP funding for Northern Ireland

RSPB Northern Ireland has welcomed Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill’s long-awaited announcement of funds for the Rural Development Programme (RDP). The 2014-2020 RDP could now be worth £623m, with funding supporting a range of priorities which together will lead to the enhancement of our important rural areas. The RSPB is pleased to see that the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) has committed…
  • Pesticide analysis underlines need for more sustainable farming

A major review of systemic pesticides – the best known of which are neonicotinoids - led by a range of leading scientists has confirmed these chemicals are already causing significant damage to a wide range of beneficial invertebrate species. Additionally the authors have recognised the potential threat to other species, such as birds.

Image: Bee on flower at RSPB Hope Farm by Grahame Madge (rspb-images.com)

• Blue skies, Cereals and greening

It's been a busy few weeks on the farming advice front, what with Open Farm Sunday, show season getting in to full swing and the recent announcements on greening from Defra. If you haven't had chance to read Martin Harper's blog on our response to the announcement, you can do that here...

It was good to catch up with some friendly farming faces at Cereals on 11/12 June, and to meet lots of new ones. The weather…

• Hoping for farm visitors on Open Farm Sunday!

Yesterday, I posted about Open Farm Sunday which takes place across the UK this weekend. This year, we're also holding an event on our very own Hope Farm in Cambridgeshire. Farm Manager, Ian Dillon, tells us more....

"One of the best parts of my job as Hope Farm Manager is showing people around the farm, and seeing their reaction when I tell them of the amazing increases in bird numbers we have achieved here while…

• Opening the farm gates for Open Farm Sunday

Open Farm Sunday 2014 will soon be upon us and once again, Park Farm at Thorney in Cambridgeshire will be opening its farm gates to the public. Farmer and RSPB member Michael Sly tells us why Open Farm Sunday is a great way to get people thinking about food, farming and the environment.
  • Come and see us this summer!

This time of year is always a busy period for us - not only are we out visiting farmers, carrying out early morning surveys and (hopefully) enjoying the weather, but it's also show season! This gives us a great opportunity to talk to lots of farmers as well as other advisors and agricultural organisations and businesses. Shows are a brilliant place to learn as well as offer advice, and we're looking forward to meeting…

• Introducing...

Hello! My name’s Sam and I’m the new Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor, part of the Operation Turtle Dove  partnership project. I’ll be working with farmers and landowners across Essex and Suffolk to create and maintain suitable habitat  in an area which is a stronghold for the remaining breeding turtle doves in this country. Establishing a network of good nesting and foraging sites will be vital in ensuring…