• The Flow Country – five reasons to be thankful

The Flow Country, located in Caithness and Sutherland, is home to the largest expanse of blanket bog in Europe - so vast that it can be hard to take in!

To celebrate the start of a Flows to the Future touring exhibition, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, taking the Flows to people across the country we have a guest blog from Professor Des Thompson, Principal Adviser on Science with Scottish Natural Heritage, which…

• 29 Jun 2017
  • Five facts you need to know about starlings

If you’re a fan of feeding the birds in your garden I imagine you’ll know a starling when you see one, but there’s more to these beautiful birds than meets the eye! Starlings are noisy, gregarious and can be found in pretty much every part of Scotland, expect for some of the most northerly areas of the Highlands. They’re one of our most common garden birds – they came in at number two in our Big Garden Birdwatch this…

• 27 Jun 2017
  • In search of a six-legged jewel: the shining guest ant

This is the second post in a six part blog series about rare insects in the Cairngorms. A new project launched this year to save six endangered invertebrates in the north of Scotland and project officer Gabrielle Flinn will take a closer look at one of these species each month. This time, it's the turn of the shining guest ant - a six-legged jewel. The Rare Invertebrates in the Cairngorms project is a partnership i…

• 18 Jun 2017
  • Five species we're helping with farmers and crofters

Farming is extremely important for nature in Scotland, with wildlife-friendly practices bringing huge benefits to the country’s landscapes and the species that use them. This blog, from Louise Cullen of the RSPB, details five birds that are already being helped by farming in Scotland. If you’d like to learn more about this type of work, come visit our stand at the Royal Highland Show this month, we’ll be there from 22…

• 14 Jun 2017
  • Five facts you need to know about RSPB Scotland volunteering

All this week as part of Volunteers’ Week 2017 we’ve been celebrating our amazing 2,200 RSPB Scotland volunteers. Our volunteers are integral to our conservation work here in Scotland and it’s been great to shine the spotlight on them and say a huge THANK YOU for all that they do.

For our final blog of the week we bring you five fascinating facts about our extraordinary volunteers and how you can get…

• 7 Jun 2017
  • My time at RSPB Scotland Loch Lomond

Pauline Gray is a volunteer at RSPB Scotland Loch Lomond and as part of Volunteers’ Week 2017 has shared her experience with us of what’s she’s been involved in since starting with us.

My time at RSPB Scotland Loch Lomond

I would love to share with you my time being a Volunteer at RSPB Scotland Loch Lomond.  I have been volunteering for almost two years now and it has been the most amazing experience…

• 6 Jun 2017
  • The Shetland RSPB Youth Volunteers

Seventeen year old Logan Johnson is a member of the Shetland RSPB Youth Volunteers. To mark Volunteers' Week 2017 Logan has shared why being part of this group is so important to him and what the group do to help conservation in Shetland.

The Shetland RSPB Youth Volunteers

The Shetland RSPB Youth Volunteers was established in 2014. Aged between 14 -18, we were put together as a way to encourage the youth of Shetland…

• 5 Jun 2017
  • What is it like being a residential volunteer?

Find out about residential volunteering in our fourth Volunteers' Week blog. Sarah Livingstone was a residential volunteer at our Mersehead reserve from October 2016 to March 2017 and has written about her time spent with us.

What is it like being a residential volunteer?

Photo by Forbes Rogerson

After arriving at RSPB Scotland Mersehead in October last year and having my first tour around the reserve, it was…

• 4 Jun 2017
  • My Volunteer Experience

Our third blog to celebrate Volunteers’ Week 2017 comes from Sarah Underwood about her time spent volunteering for our sea eagle project in East Scotland.

My Volunteer Experience

Volunteers learning about radio tracking

It all started with the faintest possible beep through the headphones. The thrill of that beep will never leave me. No one else seemed to notice. A handful of us found ourselves at the top of…

• 3 Jun 2017
  • Foraging Fun at Loch Lomond

In our second blog celebrating Volunteers’ Week 2017 we hear from Lesley McCue  who has been volunteering for RSPB Scotland since 2009 and leads the food foraging and healing plants events at one of our newest reserves, Loch Lomond.

Foraging Fun at Loch Lomond

I first became involved in volunteering for RSPB Scotland at the Lochwinnoch nature reserve in 2009. I used to take my daughter Nina to the reserve on…

• 2 Jun 2017