• Bee beetle bonanza

RSPB Scotland Trainee Ecologist Kirsty Godsman is back with a new blog.

Bee Beetle Bonanza

I think there is just about enough time left this month to introduce you to July’s beetle of the month.

The bee beetle (Trichius fasciatus)

The bee beetle might just be my favourite beetle (and I don’t make a habit of statements like that if I don’t really mean it!). If ever there was a case for insects being cute and…

• 29 Jul 2014
  • What a brilliant breeding season!

Senior Research Assistant, Rob Hughes and Aberdeen University PhD student, Marianna Chimienti are back with an update from Fair Isle as part of the RSPB’s Seabird Tracking and Research (STAR) project. 

What a brilliant breeding season!

Here we are again, Rob and Marianna, the Fair Isle team updating you about the amazing breeding season that we have had this year!

Despite the bad weather, the strong wind and the…

• 28 Jul 2014
  • Warming up to moths

I have a bit of a confession to make. Moths used to really give me the willies.

In fact, if I’m completely honest, they’re still not my favourite beastie. But the thing about working for a conservation charity like the RSPB, is that I can’t really avoid them. So like those giant spiders that suddenly appear indoors in September (eek!) I’ve had to find a way to live with them.

But I think it…

• 25 Jul 2014
  • The ugly duckling

Genevieve Dalley, Trainee Ecologist with RSPB Scotland, is back with a new blog.

The Ugly Duckling

It’s a familiar story: the unassuming youngster undergoes a magical transformation to become a beautiful adult. The most quoted examples from the insect world are butterflies.

However, there are other creatures out there who, after sometimes years of life trapped in their larval skin, burst forth and take flight…

• 22 Jul 2014
  • Chicks galore!

Seabird Tracking and Research (STaR) team member, Ruth Brown, gives us an update on her work tagging seabirds on Colonsay.

Chicks galore!

For the fifth year running the RSPB STaR team has returned to the island of Colonsay for the summer months. This year the team consists of Tessa Cole, who is well known to many local residents after four seasons on the island, and myself, who is new to the project. Colonsay is part…

• 7 Jul 2014
  • Trusty tips for moth night

Summer is the high season for moths so you've got a good chance of spotting a few if you fancy getting the family out into the garden to give it a go as part of moth night! Did you know that moths can be just as colourful and diverse as butterflies? But because they mostly fly at night we don’t notice this quite as much.

There’s plenty of different species to spot but we thought we’d mention a couple you’re…

• 4 Jul 2014
  • Inspiring the next generation

RSPB conservation manager Stuart Benn is back with a new blog. 

Inspiring the Next Generation

I was born on the 4th of July but I didn't spend my birthday week putting on a song and dance routine like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. Instead, I was fitting satellite tags on golden eagle chicks, and I wasn't alone – 18 year old Luke Curno came along too.

It’s become fashionable to knock the young – that…

• 4 Jul 2014
  • Dale, Cottascarth – the story of an Orkney farm

Jill Harden, Project Archaeologist at RSPB Scotland, explores a small abandoned farm at Cottascarth and Rendall with the help of some volunteers.  

Dale, Cottascarth – the story of an Orkney farm

Orkney is a fascinating group of islands to explore at any time of year, for their archaeological, historical, and natural heritage. The archaeologist’s visit this time focused on one specific reserve and one particular…

• 1 Jul 2014