• Super sandeels

Allan Whyte, Marine Policy Officer at RSPB Scotland, gives us an update on the campaign for Marine Protected Areas in Scotland.

Super sandeels

Sandeels are probably not an animal you are overly familiar with; you will hopefully have read a little about them on our website. However, this small, silvery fish is something of a superhero in the sea. Sandeels are utterly vital for marine animals like seabirds, dolphins,…

• Everyone’s a Winner

Conservation Manager Stuart Benn meets the winners of the RSPB Scotland Photographic Competition

One of the best bits of my job is getting to meet up with great people and so it was this week when I got a couple of days out with some of the winners of the RSPB Scotland Photographic Competition.

Day one was with Andy, Dominic and Eric and having won a photographic competition, they wanted the chance to take more pictures…

• Scotland's Grand Canyon

Scotland's Grand Canyon- a tour of opencast coal sites in East  Ayrshire

One of the perks of working for a nature conservation organisation is the occasional opportunity to get out of the office and see colleagues in action and the special places for wildlife we fight for.

Over the past year, RSPB Scotland staff have been working to highlight the sorry state opencast coal mines have been left in across Central Scotland…

• It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Allan Whyte, RSPB Scotland Marine Policy Officer, tells us why May 21st is his favourite day of the year.

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

You’re probably reading this bleary-eyed, clutching a cup of coffee. I too was kept awake by excitement knowing that today is Natura 2000 day (it’s also International Waiter/Waitress Day and International Memo Day). The day when people all over the world feast, drink…

• Seabird tracking project takes flight

Stacey Adlard, a member of the Seabird Tracking and Research team (STAR), tells us about preparations for the upcoming season.

Seabird tracking project takes flight

Over the Easter weekend, the 2014 Seabird Tracking and Research (STaR) team descended on the RSPB Inverness office for first aid and rope training, getting to know each other, sorting and packing enormous amounts of kit, and an Easter egg hunt.  Afterwards…

• Through the looking glass

Trainee Ecologist, Genevieve Dalley, introduces us to the world of freshwater invertebrates.

Through the looking glass

Water is a mysterious thing. When looking at it, most people see nothing more than a reflection. But, if you slip past the surface, there is a whole other world waiting, with its own stories and an alien set of characters.

Here, there really are fairies, dragons and monsters of the not-so-deep...

• Beetle blueprints

Introducing RSPB Scotland Trainee Ecologists Kirsty Godsman and Genevieve Dalley. Over the next few months they will be blogging about their experiences in the field, helping us learn more about the beetles and freshwater invertebrates that call our reserves home. First up is Kirsty...

Beetle blueprints

I am a new ecology trainee at RSPB Scotland in Edinburgh and I will be spending the next eight months working on my…

• Keeping it real- Scottish Birdfair 2014

Conservation Manager, Stuart Benn, is looking forward to the Scottish Birdfair!

Keeping it real

There’s nothing like live experiences!

A picture of Brin running along the beach doesn’t quite compare with seeing the joy on his face as he chased the waves.

And seeing Chic play live was just fantastic – the emotion and the energy can be hinted at in a picture but it’s certainly not the same as being there…