• Tales of the unexpected

New blog from Conservation Manager Stuart Benn...

Tales of the Unexpected

Do you ever think about how important the unexpected is to us?

Not someone creeping up behind you and going ‘boo!’ or a brick falling on your head but the pleasant kind of unexpected, the type you really couldn’t have foreseen but which really brightened up your day. How dull life would be without them.

We were looking out…

• 4 seabirds

Brand new blog from Conservation Manager, Stuart Benn.

4 seabirds

Some of the best days I have ever known have been spent amongst seabirds. Being with them at the cliffs and islands is like going through a door into the next level of a video game, a world of hyper-reality where the normal rules don’t seem to apply.

All the senses come equally into play – it’s loud and pungent, the colours are vibrant, the same…

• I thought you were bringing it!!

Conservation Manager, Stuart Benn, tells us how his Big Wild Sleepout went...

I thought you were bringing it!!

It hadn’t been a good start.

We were heading up into the glens for the Big Wild Sleepout when we realised we hadn’t packed the tent! Note for next year – make a list! Anyway, it was too far from home and too late to go back to fetch it so we ended up with the two of us plus dog sleeping in the car -…

• It’s the best time of the day...

RSPB Conservation Manager Stuart Benn is looking forward to the Big Wild Sleepout. Will you be participating?

It’s the best time of the day...

I’ve always been something of a magpie, always on the lookout for pictures or words that ‘stick to the eyes’, things that I can keep in mind and refer back to. So, when I was on the Tube a couple of weeks ago and saw an advert with the tagline – ‘It’s the best time of the…

• Dramatic seabird breeding failures in Orkney for another season

RSPB Seabird Surveyor, Thalassa McMurdo-Hamilton, gives us an update on the Orkney seabird breeding season.

Dramatic seabird breeding failures in Orkney for another season

Welcome to the second Orcadian seabird blog (to read the first blog click here). This past month has been full of ups and downs for me as a seabird surveyor. This month, it’s been all about guillemot, razorbill and kittiwake chicks: hatching, survival…

• Station to Station

Trainee ecologist , David Freeman, gives us an update on his summer in the field...

Station to Station

Since my last blog just over a month ago I have been rushed off my feet! I’ve been flitting about the entirety of Scotland, taking the train from station to station and watching country roads slide by car windows. I will attempt to describe some of the highlights here, although one blog can not hope to do justice to…