• Trolls on the Isle of Rum

We've saved the best for last! Our Seabird Policy Officer, Rory Crawford, recounts his incredible visit to the Isle of Rum.

Trolls

In August last year I fulfilled an ambition I’ve had for some time: to visit the Isle of Rum, off the west coast of Scotland. Rum is a National Nature Reserve – a concept that appeals to me greatly. The SNH website says these sites are ‘areas of land set aside for nature, where the main…

• The tale of the great auk

Our Seabird Policy Officer, Rory Crawford, is back with another seabird saga.

The tale of the great auk – Scotland’s great extinct penguin

After what I was saying Tuesday about taking our internationally-important seabirds for granted, I felt it important to re-tell a story that should serve as a cautionary tale. The tale of the great northern hemisphere penguin that was once common as muck – but is now exctinct…

• Scotland and Seabirds

Our Seabird Policy Officer, Rory Crawford, discusses Scotland's seabirds and how you can help them.

Scotland and Seabirds

Scotland has many natural treasures, but there is one in particular I think we often overlook. It’s no surprise really – it happens all over the world – people take it for granted that the wildlife they see around them is commonplace everywhere.  I imagine there’d be far fewer…

• An archaeological jewel: the fairy knowes of Oronsay

Many of our reserves feature fascinating archaeological sites along with spectacular wildlife. Crystal Maw, a Project Officer at RSPB Scotland, tells us about some of the prehistoric sites on Colonsay and Oronsay.

The Hebridean islands of Colonsay and Oronsay boast a wide range of prehistoric sites, including early shell mounds, three cairns, eight standing stones, eight hut circles, five ancient field systems, nine forts…