This week our brilliant volunteer, Ben Hide, picked this brilliant photo and tells us why.

OK, so this photo probably isn’t going to win any awards for cuteness or make you go “awwww” but it seemed such a unique and interesting occurrence that I had to select it as photo of the week. Sent in by Karen Andrews, the photo was taken in Scarfskerry – the most northerly settlement in mainland Great Britain, it shows two leopard slugs engaging in courtship. Bizarre, fascinating and slightly surreal – it’s slug copulation, but not as we know it!

One of the largest slugs in the UK (up to 150mm) and thought to be widespread, the aerial acrobatics of their mating habits certainly make for an interesting photo!

“You said we were just gonna hang out, Gary.” (Photo courtesy of Nature’s Home reader Karen Andrews)

If you’ve got some unique and wonderful wildlife photos share them with us by emailing natureshome@rspb.org.uk 

Parents
  • Boy, have you started an argument. Skarfskerry is in mainland Scotland, but opinion is divided whether the outer isles are in Great Britain. I wish that you had just said mainland Great Britain. People in Shetland etc. may not be too happy with the description, but given that they cling to Nordic roots, perhaps they are not annoyed!

Comment
  • Boy, have you started an argument. Skarfskerry is in mainland Scotland, but opinion is divided whether the outer isles are in Great Britain. I wish that you had just said mainland Great Britain. People in Shetland etc. may not be too happy with the description, but given that they cling to Nordic roots, perhaps they are not annoyed!

Children