You’ve been sending in some of your excellent birds of prey photographs this winter. These agile hunters are fast-moving – so capturing them on image can sometimes be a challenge.

Here are some of our favourites, from being magnificent in mid-flight, to taking a perch whilst surveying their surroundings.

Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk

“I took this sparrowhawk (1st winter female) at Castlemartin Corse, Pembrokeshire, on 31 December 2021. It perched on the fencepost for about 4 seconds!” Richard Ellis

Sparrowhawk in garden

“A sparrowhawk that landed on my garden hedge in November… taken in Goole East Yorkshire.” Sue Ellis

Kestrel

Kestrel

“A common kestrel spotted on the RSPB Arne seasonal raptor trail. This female (I believe!) was spreading her wings, fending off another rival kestrel encroaching on her hunting spot.” Matt Mears

Kestrel and crowKestrel and crow

“I was taking photos of this Kestrel and noticed a Crow approaching from just below the treetop it gave the Kestrel a fright!” Mike Earl

Kestrel taking a walkKestrel in the snow

“Taking a walk along a path, and in the snow.” Michelle Coyle

Red kite

Red Kite

“In the Chiltern’s.” Barry Tindall

Red kite and crow

“I was lucky enough to photograph this beautiful red kite flying low over my garden in Ceredigion, Wales. Whilst enjoying watching the bird circling the sky above me, a brave crow tried to see off the kite resulting in the second photo (which I am very proud of!) I love how the kite is turning it’s head to look back at the crow, giving me an angle that is rather unusual. The agility of these birds in flight never fails to amaze me.” Rhiannon Webbon

Peregrine falcon

Peregrine falcon

“I took this photo of a Peregrine Way up the steeple of St John’s Church, Redhill, Surrey.” Kevin Hunt

Peregrine drying out

“Bedraggled peregrine drying out at Pulborough Brooks.” Jeff Barnard

Buzzard

Buzzard

“One of the local buzzards that can often be seen just across the road from our house.” Julian Allen

White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

“This shot of a White-tailed Eagle was taken by me on Mull Scotland.” Kath Everitt

Parents
No Data
Comment
  • $core_v2_ui.GetResizedImageHtml($comment.User.AvatarUrl, 44, 44, "%{border='0px', alt=$comment.User.DisplayName, ResizeMethod='ZoomAndCrop'}")
    $core_v2_ui.UserPresence($comment.User.Id) $comment.User.DisplayName
    This comment is under review.
Children
No Data