• The magnificent 7 – nature’s best early-spring sights and sounds

Valentine’s Day is almost here and even if you’re not feeling the love, nature definitely is. Here’s my guide to seven of the best sights and sounds of early spring brought to you by a star-studded cast of attention seekers from the world of wildlife. These extroverts will do whatever it takes to stand out from the crowd and find a mate - and the ideal home…  

Ravens are not just any old crow…

• Photo of the week: A feast for a jay

Our Nature's Home magazine photo of the week is chosen by Emma Lacy. Emma looks after Fellows' News and Impact - our newsletters for  our brilliant Life Fellows and Regular Givers.

It’s that time of the year again, Big Garden Birdwatch is upon us! Shortly, we’ll be gathering at our windows, looking onto our garden bird feeders, and counting the wildlife we’re helping to give a home to. I myself was astonished…

• 5 ways to get more from your Big Garden Birdwatch

Well, like half a million other households across the UK, I am gearing up for this weekend’s Big Garden Birdwatch. It’s going to be mega. I seem to have a pretty good variety of bird species visiting my back garden during winter.... but will they all turn up during our chosen one-hour slot? 

Sit back and enjoy the show... it's Big Garden Birdwatch weekend at last! (Photo: David Tipling, rspb-images.com)…

• 9 fantastic reasons to do the Big Garden Birdwatch

The world’s biggest wildlife survey is just two days away. The RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch takes place from 27 – 29 January, and there’s still plenty of time to sign up. 

But if you still need convincing…

House sparrow topped the chart last year - have you seen one in your garden? (Ben Hall, rspb-images.com)

1. It’s a whole hour to yourself!

Time. That ever-elusive commodity. You don…

• My big garden building site

I always look forward to Big Garden Birdwatch with a certain smugness, confident of a decent count of sparrows, starlings and all those other declining, and common, garden birds the RSPB love to hear about every January. This year, I have a bit of a problem and I need your help.

Gone is that near-certain feeling I'll be reporting 12+ species on my count in the Big Garden Birdwatch hour. In a year when I've been quick…

• Photo of the week - fighting foxes

Many of you reading this blog will have heard us mention how many stunning reader photos we receive in the Nature's Home magazine inbox every day. The only slightly disappointing aspect to receiving so many beautiful photos is that there is never enough room to fit them all in a single issue, even if we dedicated the entire magazine to it. Celebrating the wildlife and other nature you’ve seen and captured on camera…

• Enjoy nature's most spectacular sight this January

What's your favourite nature spectacle? A peregrine on the hunt? The autumn red deer rut? Flights of wild geese overhead on a winter afternoon?

We've got our "must sees" here at Nature's Home and today we present one of  the very best of all them thanks to a guest blog from Jacqueline Hitt who is studying for an MA in Nature and Travel Writing at Bath Spa University. This is a sight you can see  

• A blackcap bounty

My family had a very busy festive season, despite spending all of it at home. I am only just catching up with all the festive TV movies now. We spent many hours standing up and cooking, and many more devouring the fruits of our labour. 

But we didn’t forget our feathered friends outside. Although not a flake of snow settled in our part of the world (much to the kids' disappointment), there was some pretty inclement weather…

• Can you see 100 species in one day?

This blog comes to you from the newest member of the Nature's Home team, Aisling Brady, who got up at 5am on New Year’s Day to participate in a birding race… 

Over to Aisling!

I’ve never been the biggest fan of New Year’s Eve to be honest. So this year I swapped the usual sore head and depleted savings for something rather more refreshing. When my housemate, birding guru Ben MacDonald, invited…

• Find hawfinches and scarlet elfcups this January

Happy New Year!

I hope you found plenty of time over the Christmas period to get out and about and  see some of winter’s special wildlife.

Now Christmas is over and the days have started to lengthen, the first signs of spring are very apparent. Coming back to work this morning and getting in my car, it was impossible to ignore the dawn chorus that is an everyday occurrence now. Robins and great tits are dominating…