• Tis the season to be wild!

Well, we’re pretty much wrapped up for Christmas – and about to collapse into a well-earned break! The next issue of Nature’s Home is being printed, and last week, on this very blog, we gave you a sneak preview of the front cover.

It’s a new year and a (slightly) new look! But it’s not just the cover we’ve tweaked. Near the front of the magazine you’ll find a whole new-look 'Wild About' section, showcasing…

• Nature's Home photo of the week: a perfectly-posed robin

I have always thought am one of the luckiest Editor-in-Chiefs around thanks to you, our brilliant Nature's Home readers and RSPB members.

There are lots of reasons for this: the fact you care about your magazine, you give us so many great things to put in Nature's Home and share with others, from your sightings, reports from reserve visits, wildlife gardening tips and the literally thousands of incredible photos…

• Where to see murmurations

This Christmas, give your self the gift of a nature wow moment . 

The pre-dusk skies of winter form a great backdrop for one of nature’s finest performances, a murmuration of starlings. Hundreds, thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of starlings take to the skies in a mesmeric swirl. They gather to confuse predators and exchange information, before snuggling up to roost. For us, it’s a seasonal spectacle we’re all…

• January issue sneak peek

We've had a super-busy couple of weeks at Nature’s Home, and we’re all looking forward to Christmas. On Tuesday, Mark Ward and I got together at The Lodge and went through Nature’s Home one last time before we send it to print. Which means…. drumroll…. we can show you a sneak peek of the cover of our upcoming Spring 2018 issue!

Ta-daaaah! Look out for the new issue of Nature…

• What did your birds make of the white stuff?

Snow is a very lovely thing if, and it is a big if, you don’t have to travel. Fortunately for me, “Snow Sunday” couldn’t have come at a better time. I didn’t have anywhere to be and the January issue of Nature's Home magazine is all but finished, so I was able to watch what my local wildlife made of it all from the comfort of a warm house!

I did have a date with some showy otters an…

• My Christmas wildlife wish list

Once I’d finished my Christmas list at the weekend, I began to think about a list that is equally important in the countdown to Christmas – my wildlife targets for the next few weeks. Every winter in the UK is different, not just for the weather, but also which species have arrived in good numbers, which haven’t and of course what rarities are lurking among the flocks of commoner birds.

The winter of…

• RSPB magazines scoop award

Our magazine team enjoyed a treat this week – and a respite from a deluge of pre-Christmas deadlines – kicking off the festive season by attending the Content Marketing Association Awards in Camden, London. 

It’s certainly not often we find ourselves dressed up to the nines and sipping free prosecco, but we had been shortlisted for the ‘Best Membership Award.

Many of us scrambled together new…