• Another day, another origami challenge

As deputy ed Emma recently blogged, there’s lots of fun working on our two magazines for primary-age RSPB members.  

Wild Times (for kids up to 7) and Wild Explorer (8-11 ish) are packed full of fun ways to engage kids with nature; whether it’s making bird-seed cakes, dens in the woods or torch-on-a-bedsheet moth lures. Then we work in lots of nature know-how and wild challenges for older kids, and colouring, cutting…

• 30 Jun 2017
  • Slugs: a discovery

I began my blog last week by expressing how hot it’s been. This week, some parts of the country saw a month’s worth of rain in a few days. The important thing to remember though is that there’s still plenty of wildlife to see at this time of year regardless of what the weather is doing. With the rain hammering the bathroom skylight as I got ready for bed, this friendly looking chap scaled a sheer cliff face without the…

• 29 Jun 2017
  • Swifts – my shameful gallery of photo fails

This week, I've been finding all my evening entertainment in our resident swift colony. But let's just say the photographic evidence leaves something to be desired. 

I have absolutely loved this ‘heatwave’. I used to live in Sydney, Australia, and this week’s weather has reminded me of innumerate summer evenings on my little apartment balcony overlooking the vast Pacific, with groups of wild …

• 23 Jun 2017
  • What's a-purring at Fowlmere

Phew! I hope you've been getting out in this hot weather. I know I have, as you've got to make the most of it before the British summer hits. Sticking to my word and hunting down some damselflies and dragonflies, I thought I'd head out to a very local reserve last weekend. RSPB Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire is just down the road from me, a measly 10 miles, so in stunning weather there really was no excuse not…

• 22 Jun 2017
  • Hummingbird heaven

I spent last week in the sweltering heat of Tuscany and arrived back on Saturday to find conditions back here in the UK pretty much the same!

But it isn’t just the weather that linked my first trip to Italy and what's going on here in the UK. A surprise visitor to my garden pre-work this morning took me right back to Italy. My wife Laura was hanging the washing out and I, of course, was doing my equal share of the chores…

• 20 Jun 2017
  • A midsummer night's scheme

Somehow, it seems we’re already approaching midsummer - 21 June – the shortest night of the year - and soon the nights will be drawing in again.

Wednesday night, I got home from work around 7pm, got my kids into bed, and an hour later I was out in the garden, bathing in warm, golden sunlight. I have an obscenely comfortable new (ex-display) garden recliner, and 9pm saw me stretched out most contentedly, glass…

• 16 Jun 2017
  • Wild Sunday

You never know when or where wildlife is going to turn up. The chance encounters and everyday surprises always remind me of the fact that nature doesn’t obey the rules. It does what it wants, when it wants, and always will. I’ve often found watching nature quite humbling. Living things, doing what they’ve done for thousands of years, despite everything humans have done to disturb them or make things difficult. Nature…

• 15 Jun 2017
  • An AGM on the high seas

I'm delighted (and more than a little envious) to present a guest blog from former RSPB Director of International Operations, Tim Stowe who brings a tale from the high seas of an AGM with a difference. Wish I'd been there? You bet and I'm sure you will too!

“It would be great if you came to our AGM”, Mark said the last time we met. “Sure!” I said, half heartedly. Mark is the dynamic…

• 12 Jun 2017
  • Sneak peek - Autumn issue

As Britain went to the polls yesterday, I was spending a very pleasant afternoon up at RSPB The Lodge, meeting with ed-in-chief Mark to do final checks on the next issue of Nature’s Home, and sign it off for print. We also couldn’t resist a tiny nature walk, to see how the resident family of greylag geese is doing (very well, as it happens!) and spot some interesting bees, micro-moths and beetles. 

Back to…

• 9 Jun 2017
  • Dragon hunting

I’m really good at starting lists, but not so good at finishing them. Or referencing them. Or not losing them. But this year, all that’s going to change, at least for wildlife – there’s no need to set the bar too high... I’m trying to “finish” my UK list of damselflies and dragonflies after being inspired by a spectacular set of four-spotted chaser shots taken by Bex Cartwright at …

• 8 Jun 2017
  • When I was a lad...

Well, there you have it. It turns out I’m now officially old enough to reminisce about how things were different when I was young. Maybe it's a symptom of approaching 40, or more likely because nature really has changed in the 30 years in which my life has been immersed in it.

I now see a lot of things I would have thought unthinkable in my home county of Cambridgeshire when I was at school - nesting peregrines…

• 5 Jun 2017
  • Behind the scenes on our kids mags

Anna's blog post for the week is brought to you by guest writer, Deputy Editor Emma Pocklington.

This week, I am playing with hand puppets. Battle crab hand puppets to be precise. I’m sat at my desk, researching the best way to make working crab claws and crafting a crab shell from a paper plate.

But I’m not just playing with puppets because I’m the youngest member of the RPSB magazine team and I love a craft…

• 2 Jun 2017
  • Sunflower power!

Thousands of tiny flowers bunched tightly, encircled by a candle-like flame wreath, balanced precariously at the top of an impossibly thin stem, all fit to burst like a firework with the delight of summer.

Is there anything quite as cheerful as a sunflower?

A single sunflower can have up to 2000 seeds and its flower is actually thousands of tiny flowers called florets (Photo: Marcel Sigg, Flickr creative commons)

• 1 Jun 2017