• RSPB Weekend

It was a first for me last weekend, as I attended the annual RSPB Weekend conference. It was also a first for the new conference venue: Nottingham University campus. The venue and weekend as a whole delivered both wildlife and a platform for the RSPB to communicate the great work we do, only made possible by our fantastic supporters – you!

My weekend kicked off with an excursion to Sherwood Forest on Friday at…

• 10 things you might not know about swifts

Swifts really are the birds of the moment. They’re now returned to many areas of the UK after a winter spent in Africa to scream and scythe their way through the sky. Many more are winging their way to us, so keep scanning the skies for that unmistakable sickle-winged shape, and listening out for those calls. If “your” birds aren’t back yet, don’t worry: swifts will continue to arrive throughout May.…

• Nurture yourself with nature

Using the natural environment to enhance one’s health and wellbeing is not a new idea. Readers often write to us at Nature’s Home and share the many ways in which they benefit from the ‘natural health service’ - whether it’s helped them recover from serious illness or simply de-stress from a tough day… and at all sorts of levels from idly watching bumblebees to throwing themselves into a rewarding volunteer…

• Wildlife, everywhere - part 2

In my blog post last week I promised you all mountains, forests and coastline. Well, I’ve got all that and more this week, as I’m going to be unearthing some older photos from my first time doing conservation work in Canada, too.

Forests, snow, mountains... Everything feels so big in the American Northwest. (Photo: Jack Plumb)

So I left you all in San Francisco. I’m sure you’re all quite happy to stay…

• The top five reasons for feeding your garden birds this spring

The sun is shining, the shorts are on and the garden is in full bloom. It’s time for looking after the bees and the butterflies, the bugs and the beetles. You’ve done your bit to help your birds through winter by supplying them with nutritious, tasty treats and ticked off Big Garden Birdwatch, so it’s time to retire your feeders to the shed and tie up those seed sacks. Bird feeding - job done until the frosts…

• Wild picnic ideas

Here's another fun activity for families over the Easter holidays – especially those with young children. As the weather warms up, pick a nice day and pack a nature-inspired picnic! These easy, healthy recipes (featured in our junior magazines) are a great way to bring wildlife to the picnic blanket! 

I'm no great chef, but had great fun making (and eating!) these 5 wild picnic snacks with the magazine team…

• Wildlife, everywhere – part 1

Sorry to rub this in your face, but I’m just back from holiday. Three weeks in the Americas, starting in Mexico and ending in Canada. Spectacular in every way, you, the reader, will now be subjected to a holiday slideshow in two parts. But don’t worry – It’s all birds, other wildlife, and some great views.

The Mexican and Oregon coastline. Both have their own unique beauty. (Photo: Jack Plumb…

• Sandwiches for breakfast

If there’s one thing that gets me excited in April, it’s a good weather forecast. Now when I say good, I don’t mean clear blue skies, blazing sunshine and a gentle, warming wind. I want cold north and east winds, ideally some heavy rain, at least a short sharp April shower or two, and to really make my day, some early morning mist.

I'll explain, just in case you think I've lost the plot. It’s not that…

• 3 wild ideas for the Easter holidays

Well, the sun is out, the blossom is blooming and the Easter school holidays are finally upon us, causing much excitement in our household - albeit mostly chocolate-related. We’re taking the kids off to North Norfolk this weekend, where the mercury is forecast to soar to 20°… and there’s some incredible wildlife up there, too - loads of exciting waders and wildfowl, but also kid-friendly creatures like seals, brown hares…

• How to see serpents this spring

My “birthday treat” has taken a slightly different turn in the last few years. Not for me, drinks at the pub with friends, a wild party or a family meal. If the weather forecast promises sun and a temperature of at least nine degrees, I head for the heaths hoping for an encounter with our only venomous snake, the adder.

Adders may look a little fierce from certain angles but they are not aggressive at all…