• The nature of Christmas

If there’s one creature that is synonymous with Christmas, it’s the nation’s favourite bird, the robin. If it’s not taking pride of place on Christmas cards, it‘s immortalised in plastic perfection on the top of your Christmas cake, or yule log. Christmas without robins is like Christmas without a turkey, but why is this year-round resident such a festive favourite?

Its status as a Christmas…

• Coming to a beach, field or berry bush near you….

When I’m setting the seasonal wildlife challenge for each issue of Nature’s Home, it would be really helpful to have a crystal ball. Some events in nature are hard to predict, especially the arrival of those enigmatic birds that experience big fluctuations in their numbers. If I had known what November would bring, then three very special birds would have featured…

One of the best known of these is…

• In search of stinkhorns and devil's fingers

I hope Nicola Chester's fungi foray "Skill" in Nature's Home Winter 2016 has inspired you to get out looking for some of the 16,000 species of fungi recorded in the UK. Fungi have become a bit of an obsession of mine with so many to go at. Most weekends I'm out with my local fungi groups adding to my list and learning loads about this fascinating family. You need to use so many skills to identify fungi (including smell…

• Fabulous Friday five - your photos

It's clearly been a great summer and autumn for wildlife photography, based on the superb selection and variety of wildlife you've been seeing, photographing and sharing with us here at Nature's Home.

Reader Lynsey Alson took this superb hoopoe image overseas, which seems to show a marital dispute between a pair of these head-turning birds.

Brian Smith took this female adder at RSPB Minsmere.

"I found…