• Editor's log - the Big Garden Birdwatch

With snow covering everything and temperatures still low come Saturday morning, the scene was set for a great Birdwatch. I opted out of a morning session because I know that there is a good flurry of feeding activity in my garden mid afternoon -  a wise decision.

When we went to view our house and I saw that we backed onto a big field which is managed sympathetically for wildlife, overlooked the local river and gravel…

• How's the snow affected your garden birds?

Well the snow has arrived in good time for Big Garden Birdwatch next weekend. It's been driving good numbers of birds into people's gardens - and some unusual visitors too. Reed buntings, redwings and fieldfares, pheasants, bramblings and blackcaps have all been found by people I know in my home county of Cambridgeshire over the weekend.

I went to town keeping my birds well fed over the weekend, with a whole range…

• Waxwing lyrical

Thanks for all your comments so far on the latest issue of Birds, plus all your photos letters and e-mails. I'd love to have the space to feature more of them in the mag, but the good news is that I can share more of your stories and photos on this blog.

I was hoping to feature some readers' waxwing photographs in the Big Garden Birdwatch feature on page 14, but we had to go without because we didn't have any. Today…

• Win a copy of Mike Dilger's new book

I hope you liked our new "Things you might like" page in the Spring 2013 issue of Birds. We'll be running competitions - and reader offers - on this page as well as recommending some of our favourite wildlife-themed products, so make sure you check in each issue!

Just e-mail us to enter the draw

To be in with a chance of winning one of three signed copies of the fab new book, Wild Town by The One Show’s…

• Sneak preview of the next Birds magazine

Your February-April Birds magazine is on its way to you - the first copies start mailing today, so, if you are a member, look out for your copy over the next 10 days or so. In the meantime, here's a little sneak preview of what you'll be seeing in the mag.

Do let us know what you think, which bits of the magazine you liked and what got you thinking - and inspired to get out and enjoy wildlife, or to step up for n…