It's a big day today.  Not only do NGOs issue their annual health check on government's nature credentials, but Natural England's Board is also meeting to consier whether to confirm (or reject) the nightingale site, Lodge Hill, as a SSSI.  Read on to find out more...

The joint report, published today by 41 conservation organisations within Wildlife and Countryside Link, assesses the Coalition Government’s progress against its own natural environment commitments.  This is the third annual assessment (see here for comments on last year’s report).

How is the UK Government doing?  

Well there are a few areas where the Government has done the right thing for nature.  For example, former minister Richard Benyon pressed hard for reform of the Common Fisheries Policy and a deal setting targets to halt overfishing and ban discards was agreed in May.  In addition, the Government has been a strong supporter of the new EU Seabird Plan of Action which aims to reduce the by-catch of seabirds in fishing gear.  Link’s assessment of Government commitments to international conservation such as on ivory sales and commercial whaling are also positive.

Although progress was rated as good for four of the Government’s commitments, progress was given a moderate assessment for twelve and was considered to be failing for nine.

Earlier this year the State of Nature report illustrated the extent of species declines (60% of species for which we have decent data are declining and10% threatened with extinction) but there has been no recognition from government that existing measures under Biodiversity 2020 (the England Biodiversity Strategy) are insufficient to address the critical state of nature.  The status quo is not enough, particularly with a background of extensive cuts to Defra, Natural England and Local Authority funding, and we have yet to see any major funders stepping in to fill the gap in public finances. 

Another area where the response has been insufficient is in protecting our most important marine areas. The announcement at the end of 2012 that only a maximum of 31 out of the recommended 127 Marine Conservation Zones would be put forward for designation was deeply disappointing.

What can the Government do to earn its green stripes?  

First, we need leadership from the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister to elevate the natural environment up the Government’s agenda.  Nick Clegg’s speech earlier this month was a step in this direction that I welcome.

Second, it should empower Natural England to act as a critical champion of nature, for example by retaining the requirement for it to provide advice on changes to environmental regulations and making such advice public.  

Today, I will be attending a meeting of Natural England’s Board, where they will consider whether to confirm the notification of the Chattenden Woods and Lodge Hill SSSI.  The notification of this site has progressed in the face of objections from the Ministry of Defence and I very much hope that Natural England will stand firm and carry out their statutory duties with confidence.  

Third, it should fully implement and enforce the laws and regulations that protect the natural environment.

In the short term, a crucial test of the Government’s green credentials relates to implementation of the Common Agriculture Policy.  Readers of this blog will know our views and will know that we are keen for Defra to remain firm with their  intention to transfer the maximum permitted amount from direct payments (Pillar 1 of CAP support) to the Rural Development Plan for England (Pillar 2 -this includes payments for agri-environment schemes that are so important for wildlife and the countryside).  We also believe that the Rural Development Plan should be given an environment focus and that the Government’s approach to ‘greening’ direct payments to farmers is inadequate and needs to improved, see here for details.  The CAP proposals are open to consultation until 28 November.  If you want to make your voice heard, you can respond to the consultation by completing our e-action, or via the official response form.  

Nature Check 2013 was accompanied by the results of a public opinion poll looking at attitudes to the environment and the Government’s performance.  This survey repeats a similar poll carried out last year.  It canvassed the views of a representative sample of over 2000 adults from across Britain.  I think the results illustrate how much the public’s support for wildlife and the natural environment outstrips that of our political leaders.

83% of the British public agree that the natural environment and its wildlife should be protected at all costs.  A substantial majority (64%) of British people do not agree that the natural environment is less important than economic growth and this proportion has grown in the last year.   What about the Secretary of State, Owen Paterson?  Given the number of times he has stated that environmental improvement and economic growth are completely interdependent - you'd expect him to go with the majority.   It's clear that many around the Cabinet table still need to be convinced.  

Whatever the case, we do not currently have the necessary action to match the government's ambition.  Which is probably why the Link poll shows that only 28% of British people think that this Government is taking the right steps to leave the natural environment in a better condition for future generations.

And you, what do you think?  

It would be great to hear your views.

• A rather belated comment, that I agree with what you say  Martin. As we have said before, actions speak a lot louder than words and to date unfortunately this Government is very short on the former but good on the latter. I really do not understand the comment from the Defra spokeswoman when she says much of the Report is opinion and that Defra is working long term. The great majority of the issues in the Report are, has such and such been done for nature , yes or no? In others words, factual issues not opinion. I also wonder how long term is Defra's "long term" because the State of Nature requires urgent action now! I think their "long term" will be so long as to be too late in many cases.  One does wonder what planet these people are on sometimes.  

• Nightjar - I think the critical year is still to come.  Ultimate vedict will be on how they deal with the outstanding issue of the PFE.  You are right to be worried.

• Dear Martin,

I think you've been generous in giving an amber for forestry. It has just emerged that the transition arrangements around RDPE will mean there are no grants for new woodland planting for 2 years. The million tree plant is it seems to be followed by the 6 million tree-unplant (the number that would normally have been planted over 2 years).

Despite fine words, the Government has not accepted the Independent Forestry panel's Report: hidden in the small print is their proposal that far from a politically independent board and 'Guardians' to protect the public good, the Board is to be appointed by the Minister and Defra and will effectively be all powerful - undermining absolutely all the good in the report and once again leaving our forests vulnerable to sell off and development. And the Guardians ? Drifted into the long grass as too difficult & threatening.

• Interesting irritated reaction from the Owen Paterson on the radio this morning saying this assessment is just opinion and not based on facts.  Yet if you read the report (I wonder if he has!) there are many interesting facts throughout.  Only 27% of our rivers in good ecological status, the proportion of public spending that goes on biodiversity conservation has gone down under this Government (a measly 0.031% of GDP) etc, etc.  But there is a place for opinion too and it is good that you have backed this up with a public poll.  This should send a clear message to the Government, but will they listen?