Over the past few weeks, a number of people have kindly offered their thoughts through this blog on how we should collectively respond to the State of Nature report published by 25 organisations on 22 May. What struck me from reading all these posts, and the comments that they generated, was that many people are arguing for a total rethink in the way society relates to the natural world and "how we motivate people" (Ralph Underhill). The world would look very different if we recognised nature as "essential to human welfare" (Tony Juniper), regarded "nature conservation as a legitimate land use" (Rob Wilson), "empowered individuals from 3 to 103 with a deep excitement and reverence for nature" (Andy Lester), or reached out to more people by celebrating nature through the creative arts (Harriet Meade).

Advice for the conservation community included improving the way we work with business (Andy Spencer), doing more for urban wildlife (RSPB Phoenix member), looking for "big wins" and "work within financial reality" (David Fursdon). We were also encouraged to do more to tackle the impacts of a growing population (RSPB Phoenix member) and consumption by taking a "look in your supermarket and don't waste" (Rob Yorke). I offered some thoughts on George Monbiot's call for rewilding, while Ruth Davis (for whom some are lobbying to be the next Prime Minister) suggested that we worked closer with social causes to argue for "green affordable housing" and "a living wage" for farmers while she also proposed the establishment of a new "institution to protect land and wildlife from short-termism".

We also received some pracitical suggestions for all of us as individuals: "to do no harm" (Richard Mabey), to "quell our insatiable desire for cheap food" and "elect decision-makers who care about and understand widlife" (Chris Packham), to have more contact with nature from an early age (Jon Nott) or to "get rid of the car, stop flying and live on a 3ha smallholding" (PeterCrispin). Iolo Williams' gauntlet was designed to look the next generation in the eye when they ask the question "what did you do about the terrible state of nature in 2013?"

I hope you all have an answer to that question. I know I need at least one, as tonight I am at the City Hall in Bristol joining Simon King and others on a panel to debate the response to State of Nature. It's being run in a 'Question Time' format and is being chaired by TV Producer and naturalist, Stephen Moss. It should be fun. Apparently 400 people have booked to come along. It is also being streamed online and so if you are struggling to find something to do this evening, either go outside looking for wildlife (good idea) or sit in front of the computer watching the debate (next best thing). Tomorrow, I shall outline the RSPB's response in a more structured way...

• What a fascinating set of guest blogs this was Martin and your resume this morning most valuable. Looking forward to the online broadcast this evening.

Last night, Mrs Glossy Ibis and I had an opportunity, in a very small way, to observe the state of nature. We spent 75mins in a local wood for the BTO/GWCT Woodcock survey. It was a still, warm, moonlit evening and we positioned ourselves where three drives meet. Regrettably, but not unexpectedly, we neither saw nor heard a woodcock. A song thrush and a mistle thrush were singing from different parts of the wood and well after sunset a cuckoo was still calling close by. At the same time a pair of tawny owls were calling to each other. High overhead a group of gulls in v-formation flew towards their roost and later a gaggle of rooks flew over gently calling as they went to roost. A buzzard settled down close by as well.

The wood is managed as a pheasant shoot and after a while three badgers emerged from under a deer fence and set off in different directions for their evening forage. One passed within a few metres of us, apparently oblivious of our presence, periodically marking it's territory. A fox and a cub appeared and sat and had a scratch for a few minutes. The bat detector picked up at least three spp. as they patrolled the open spaces. However, there were far too many fallow deer and the browse line on the trees showed the damage they do! Also from previous experience thirty years ago I would have expected to see woodcock and hear nightingales. As we left a late robin was still singing an hour after sunset.

Incidentally Mrs GI nominated Ruth Davis for Prime Minister and I think a few others of your bloggers could complete the Cabinet!

• Martin,  I am looking forward to this evening.  In particular as to what Rebecca Hosking may say.  Nothing can be achieved without large landowner involvement and it would have been nice to have representation from that area.

• If you did want to watch tonight's State of Nature Question time from Bristol, it will be webcast here www.nextstep4nature.public-i.tv/core  And if you want to join in the debate on twitter use #snqt . We have an audience of 500 and some fascinating topics for discussion. Thanks, Tony (@RSPBSouthWest)