...I would have seen the Prime Minister interviewed by John Craven on Countryfile.  It is worth a watch.  I am not for a moment suggesting that it is a substitute for what I called for in yesterday's blog - a key note speech setting out Mr Cameron's vision for the environment - but it is still pleasing to hear support for the environment from the top of the Government.

As context for the interview, John uses footage of Mr Cameron's 14 May 2010 speech to staff at the Department of Energy and Climate Change where he uttered those immortal words "I want this to be the greenest government ever".  He then asks whether, following the Chancellor's autumn economic statement, the intent remains.

Mr Cameron said that he does not see a distinction between environmental protection and economic growth, he suggested that he would no more put the countryside at risk than his own family and that he remains supportive of renewable energy.   It is a refreshing to hear him speak publicly of the agenda which figured so prominently when he was Leader of the Opposition.

Of course, I disagreed with his analysis about the planning proposals and think that he is wrong when he suggests that protection afforded to SSSIs is not threatened by the reform (read my blog entry here).  But I hope that when he engages in the detail of the policy debate he will be supportive of changes proposed by the RSPB, the National Trust and others.

The second part of the interview will be shown next week and a preview suggests that he will outline his support for reform of the CAP so that more farmers are rewarded for protecting the environment.  If Mr Cameron begins to find his environmental voice and fights for policies to match his rhetoric, then 2012 may just be a good year for wildlife.

I must remember to tune in next week.

Did you see Mr Cameron's interview? What did you think?

It would be great to hear your views.

Parents
  • Hi Martin, just watched David Cameron on Countryfile, thank you for the link

The Prime Minister said "I care deeply about our countryside and our environment and would no more put them at risk than I would my own family" So why then do we and the thousands of people living in the rural communities on the Hoo Peninsula feel so threatened by all this talk of a new hub airport in the Thames estuary?  Why is it ok for his government to even contemplate the wholesale destruction of our globally important internationally designated wildlife sites?

"Villages can designate 'new' green spaces that they want to  keep" those were the words that the Prime Minister used, very commendable. But how about Mr Cameron and his government protecting the globally important green spaces which we already have here in the Thames estuary, that are important to us all and are protected under local, national and international LAW.

David Cameron said "I want us to be the greenest government ever"  Then show us Mr Cameron.  Please do not attempt to water down the EU protection given to our internationally important wildlife sites. Please do not put our wildlife and countryside at risk with the NPPF reforms and please say no to a new Thames estuary airport at the very earliest opportunity.

Friends of the North Kent Marshes

Conservation and Communities United

Comment
  • Hi Martin, just watched David Cameron on Countryfile, thank you for the link

The Prime Minister said "I care deeply about our countryside and our environment and would no more put them at risk than I would my own family" So why then do we and the thousands of people living in the rural communities on the Hoo Peninsula feel so threatened by all this talk of a new hub airport in the Thames estuary?  Why is it ok for his government to even contemplate the wholesale destruction of our globally important internationally designated wildlife sites?

"Villages can designate 'new' green spaces that they want to  keep" those were the words that the Prime Minister used, very commendable. But how about Mr Cameron and his government protecting the globally important green spaces which we already have here in the Thames estuary, that are important to us all and are protected under local, national and international LAW.

David Cameron said "I want us to be the greenest government ever"  Then show us Mr Cameron.  Please do not attempt to water down the EU protection given to our internationally important wildlife sites. Please do not put our wildlife and countryside at risk with the NPPF reforms and please say no to a new Thames estuary airport at the very earliest opportunity.

Friends of the North Kent Marshes

Conservation and Communities United

Children
No Data