Following yesterday's blog, I thought it might be useful to expand on the three different perspectives regarding the future of grouse shooting.

Here are the quotes will appear in this autumn's issue of Nature's Home magazine.  They offer three different way forward.  I encourage you to read the full article when/if the magazine arrives on your doorstep.

Dr Mark Avery, Wildlife writer and organiser of the Hen Harrier Day event in the Peak District

Driven grouse shooting has been a peculiarly British pastime for only about 200 years and we’d be better off without it. Banning it would mean more wildlife, better water quality, more soil carbon and fewer floods. Grouse shooting is an intransigent industry and licensing would be costly and ineffective. It is time to ban driven grouse shooting; if you agree, please sign atepetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/65627

James Robinson, Head of Nature Policy, RSPB

Important wildlife sites are being damaged or destroyed by the poor management of many driven grouse moors, and birds of prey continue to be disturbed and persecuted. Self regulation has failed, so the RSPB is asking for a robust licensing system. Those who breached conditions would have their licenses removed. Law-abiding grouse shoots would benefit from improved public confidence. You can follow RSPB policy at rspb.org.uk/martinharper

Amanda Anderson, Director, the Moorland Association

Grouse moor managers work hard to protect our uplands. Careful burning is vital for biodiversity, and we are involved in innovative techniques to restore healthy deep peat. We are also committed to sustainable growth in harrier numbers as part of Defra’s Hen Harrier Joint Recovery Plan (epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67527). Many moors are designated as protected areas, so everything we do is under consent already. Further red tape could stifle our recent progress.

What do you think about these three perspectives?

It would be great to hear your views.

• Regarding  licensing: as a naive member of public I would be more convinced of its potential effectiveness if you spelled out, in detail, how you (RSPB) think the licensing system will be more robust and  the inspections be so much better,  with the extra money, though I note you say in your last blog it only “has the potential to fund better inspection and enforcement” .  To my eyes nothing is going to change with vast areas of moor to police day and night!  I cannot be alone in this failure to understand , so having worked out how it may be achieved you could include  the explanation  in to the magazine article.

• Some of this debate is for the future-what matters right now is that individuals and groups associated with shooting and particularly grouse shooting have destroyed all perceived threats to their "sport". They continue to do this DESPITE it being a criminal offence. That is why raptor numbers are so depressed in areas like the Peak District. Unless something drastic happens then birds like hen harriers are going to be EXTINCT which is what the grouse farmers want -it solves their problem and removes the hassle.

Anything less than a total ban is going to be abused and manipulated so that these people can continue in the way they always have. Do we really think that a licence will make any difference at all to a people who are already used to breaking the law? At the time of this debate 3 young tagged harriers have "disappeared"

The persecutors need catching, arresting fining and yes jailing if thats what it takes. And i include land owners along side game keepers here -ignorance can be no defence if they are your employees. The police, conservation organizations, and the courts need to be much more aggressive and proactive when dealing with these people. Once that happens then the birds are in with a chance-and then we can discuss how the land should be managed in the future. Mark Avery has sounded the call we need to support him.

• I'm pleased to see this on the website.

As a member and volunteer I think it’s important for the membership to read the pros and cons of all the arguments on grouse shooting/H Harrier/Raptor protection. Then they can make an informed choice on whether or not to sign the petitions.

Nature's voice has spoken  

Member and committee volunteer of Liverpool rspb
  • Thanks for posted this on the website, as a member and volunteer I think it important the membership gets to to read the pros and cons of the arguements before making an informed choice about signing the petitions.

Natures voice has now spoken.

Member and committee volunteer of Liverpool rspb
  • Firstly I would like to say thank you for giving RSPB members (which I am one) the opportunity to hear different opinions on this very important subject. I am also pleased it will appear in the next issue of 'Natures Home'. My stance on Driven Grouse moor management is that only a complete ban on the 'sport' can save this valuable ecosystem. While current management is aimed at only one species, Red Grouse, it can never truly be a wild space. After many years of arrogance and self interest the landowners chance to put this right has passed, to save our highland wildlife a total ban is the only way forward.