On 7 February, round two of the EU Budget negotiations begins. For those of you that have not been following this saga, 27 Heads of State need to agree how to spend about a trillion Euros over the 2014-2020. Their meeting next week is the latest attempt to thrash out a deal. The last time they met, the bits of the Budget that offer the best value for taxpayers money and supported the environment, seemed to be most at risk of being traded away. 

Our major concern remains the fate of funding which supports wildlife-friendly farming (the so-called Pillar II of the Common Agriculture Policy). This provides a lifeline for species such as turtle dove and cirl bunting as well as supporting farmers to deliver environmental public goods which the market doesn’t reward.

We've produced this short video to explain the significance of the Budget:

We hope that it inspires people to contact the Prime Minister and give him a clear message to agree a Budget that works for wildlife.

• All the staff in RSPB are "nice" people and I really do not wish to offend with my comments; I believe as passionately as you do about the wild world. I would urge RSPB to recognise that its charitable role is in fact not powerful and independent enough to fight the big interests against which it and the natural world we all love is arraigned. The kid gloves have to come off or you will simply fail in your mission. If your tactics re CAP bear dividend but I will bet 1 quid and give it to the next appeal at odds of 100-1 that I am not wrong ie I lay down 100 pound that is 1 per cent of my annual income that in the clash of national interests wildlife is bottom of the can.

Why have you not targetted the top 2100 recipients on over 100 g a year and run a campaign at this grotesquely imbalanced budget allied with small farmers who across Europe feel the competitive cut of large farms.

Peter Plover 

• Sorry but this is pure utter mush. While the wildlife friendly stuff is all very well and good (and I do support it or why would I be posting here) I do nt think at 2 in the morning it stacks up to a hill of beans when arraigned in the deadlocks and clashes of interests that are resolved on a knife edge at 2am.

Why the RSPB has failed to identify the grotesque injustices of the budget where 80% get 20% and 2100 get over 100 grand a year simply beats me. If you wish to fire people up to fight then pararde before then the recipients of state funded largesse and argue firstly that cuts come from the top and that these should be transfered across.

You are going to get wiped off the board on the first round ? Go on surprise me.

Peter Plover 

• Done Martin, duely added my name to urge the PM to take a strong stand for wildlife. It is so important.

redkite