This week my blog is exploring the challenge of balancing production with agriculture.  This was the focus for the talk I gave to the Oxford Farming Conference on Wednesday.  You can read a copy of my paper here.  Matthew Naylor and Allan Buckwell have offered their views and now, Caroline Drummond, the Chief Executive of LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming) has kindly outline her perspective below.   At the end of the week I shall reflect on the debate that this has triggered.

Striking the balance

"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness." - Letter from Thomas Jefferson to George Washington (1787)

The farming industry holds the cards for delivering sustainable food production.

No-one denies that land, water, biodiversity and natural habitats are under pressure from competing demands.  Sustainable intensification is not about increasing the use of inputs, it is about wisely using knowledge and technologies, to grow production efficiency; to intensify natures’ interactions and benefits; and reconstruct the values and culture of our food system.

Farmers need to be recognised for how they have adapted to the radically changed demands placed on our food system and land requirements over the last 20 years. New management approaches, environmental stewardship, market demands, social and environmental responsibility, improved engagement with retailers and closer relationships with consumers are all starting to help re-design our food systems.

But we need to do more – more to increase our farm efficiency, food’s nutritional value and more to enhance the environment.  However, it is alarming how little we know about the interactions between our use of land for food production, the environment and for society as a whole.  

Increasing global trade threatens to diminish the range of species and cultivars that are traditionally used in most agri-ecosystems. Of some 270,000 known species of higher plants about 20,000 are edible, but only about 7,000 are used in agriculture. 14 animal species currently account for 90% of all livestock production, and only 20 crops dominate global cultivation, providing an estimated 90% of the dietary energy consumed by the world's population (UNEP, 2007). Today 80% of the world’s population lives principally on four main crop species: maize; wheat; potatoes and rice.  Perhaps there is more scope to use a wider variety of species in our food and crop and animal health strategies?

We rely on biodiversity in our daily lives, often without realising it. The bacteria and microbes that transform waste into useful products, insects that pollinate crops and flowers, and the biologically rich landscapes that provide enjoyment, are but a few examples.

Often we are tempted to solve problems by singling out issues such as pollution, water security, carbon footprint, local production, or inputs. Individual approaches, however, do not do justice to the interactions between them. An integrated approach has the potential to use nature in conjunction with technology to help address these areas.

Integrated Farm Management (IFM) provides the flexibility to deliver a highly productive agriculture with reduced environmental impact. Advocated by LEAF, IFM has been developed to combine economic, environmental, social and welfare issues with management practices and decisions across the whole farm in a balanced and considered way.

For some 20 years LEAF has been instrumental in developing and promoting IFM and to encourage a better public understanding of and engagement in farming and the countryside.  Open Farm Sunday has welcomed some ¾ million people out on to farms over the last six years, over 20% of UK’s fresh produce are grown to LEAF Marque standards, with a growing range of grain and livestock products meeting the standard too. 

The future is not doing more of the same, it is about increasing sustainability at all levels. The real element of change is about growing production, whilst enhancing environmental health, and societal well-being in a fully integrated approach.

Do you agree with Caroline?

It would be great to hear your views.

Parents
  • Hi Martin, Thanks for this excellent blog and all your very hard work, broadly I do agree with Caroline Drummond's approach and of course she is quite right in emphasising the need for sustainable farming to conserve our soil bacteria and microbes as well as the invertebrates/ insects. However I would like to have seen a little something about also conserving birds, wild life and biodiversity generally. So much can be done in this direction by farmers without effecting farm production, such as leaving the inaccessable corner of a field unmanaged and not flailling hedges flat every year, all as demonstrated at Hope Farm.

I think your paper to the Oxford Farming Conference was first class. With your paper and Caroline's views, the technigues and technology to increase food production and at the same time halt and reverse biodiversity loss are clearly available to the world's farmers. The problem seems to be convincing organisations like the NFU (Mr Peter Kendall), the Agriculture Minister at DEFRA, (Mr Paice), and those mandarins at Brussels dealing with the CAP, that this type of thinking is "an absolute MUST and not just a luxury we can't afford. What a difference it would make if they spoke on similar lines to yourself and Caroline. I hope at least some of these people were at that Conference to hear your paper.

Finally, as I say, all these techniques and technology, if applied, may buy this planet more time, perhaps 50/100 years but unless the world starts now initiating systematic education regarding birth control and ensures that it is effective then I do fear whatever we do, in the end there may well be a disaster. Of course I hope this is not so, but our politicians and world leaders would be strongly advised to adopt the "precautionary principle" in this respect. Do they have the necessary courage? I don't thinks so, I see little sign of it, at least at the moment.

Comment
  • Hi Martin, Thanks for this excellent blog and all your very hard work, broadly I do agree with Caroline Drummond's approach and of course she is quite right in emphasising the need for sustainable farming to conserve our soil bacteria and microbes as well as the invertebrates/ insects. However I would like to have seen a little something about also conserving birds, wild life and biodiversity generally. So much can be done in this direction by farmers without effecting farm production, such as leaving the inaccessable corner of a field unmanaged and not flailling hedges flat every year, all as demonstrated at Hope Farm.

I think your paper to the Oxford Farming Conference was first class. With your paper and Caroline's views, the technigues and technology to increase food production and at the same time halt and reverse biodiversity loss are clearly available to the world's farmers. The problem seems to be convincing organisations like the NFU (Mr Peter Kendall), the Agriculture Minister at DEFRA, (Mr Paice), and those mandarins at Brussels dealing with the CAP, that this type of thinking is "an absolute MUST and not just a luxury we can't afford. What a difference it would make if they spoke on similar lines to yourself and Caroline. I hope at least some of these people were at that Conference to hear your paper.

Finally, as I say, all these techniques and technology, if applied, may buy this planet more time, perhaps 50/100 years but unless the world starts now initiating systematic education regarding birth control and ensures that it is effective then I do fear whatever we do, in the end there may well be a disaster. Of course I hope this is not so, but our politicians and world leaders would be strongly advised to adopt the "precautionary principle" in this respect. Do they have the necessary courage? I don't thinks so, I see little sign of it, at least at the moment.

Children
No Data