This year's Big Garden Birdwatch results are in and, as ever, they give us all food for thought.  

Almost 590,000 people across the UK, including 75,000 pupils and teachers at schools, took part in January.   This figure includes at least three Harpers: my two kids and I spent a great hour on a snowy Saturday morning compiling a pretty decent list this year - all except redwing appearing in this year's top 20 (see below).  It is great that so many people want to take an hour out of their weekends to count birds!

But, as ever, the results offer us a clue as to what might be happening to some of our best loved species.  Starlings hit an all-time low last year and their numbers sunk by a further 16 per cent in gardens this year pushing it down from number 2 in our chart to number 4. Numbers of house sparrows dropped by 17 per cent in gardens compared to 2012, whilst bullfinches and dunnocks fell by 20 per cent and 13 per cent respectively.  These are species that are also struggling in the wider countryside and so this news gives further cause for concern.

You can draw your own conclusions about what these results mean, but I think there are two main messages here...

First, we should all try to do our bit for garden wildlife. Gardens make up around 4 per cent of land area in the UK and their role as habitats for our wildlife is clear.  They are the places that birds come to for food and shelter when conditions in the countryside are especially tough and together, we can all play a part in making them more welcoming and supportive for wildlife, whether we have a garden full of greenery, a yard or a window box.  This can complement the efforts that we and others make to protect our finest sites, advise land-managers and influence change in policy and legislation.

Second, contact with nature is good for us.  We know that family attitudes – including things like taking part in Big Garden Birdwatch – help children connect to nature which, in turn helps create environmentally aware and, hopefully, responsible citizens.  This is something that I try to do with my kids.  While there results can be mixed (I will not forgive the girl for uttering the immortal words, "borin' birdwatching") I do try to reveal the wonders of the natural world by giving my kids a chance to have firsthand experiences of nature. 

And this brings me on to a topical debate about the future of the national curriculum in England.  I have some anxieties about the current proposals. You can read a bit more about our views here. There are some good bits that we welcome.  This includes retention of statutory requirements for fieldwork across all key stages of geography for 5-14 year-olds - something we succesfully campaigned for in 2005-8.  There is also now a requirement for robust range of ecological knowledge in science.  My concern is the loss of overt references to learning about environmental responsibility, biodiversity conservation, and how to respond to impacts of human-induced environmental change such as climate change.  We need the next generation to be equipped to deal with the legacy of what our generation leaves behind.  We are continuing to think about the best ways of responding to the consultation to address these challenges, and I will keep you posted as to how you may be able to assist.

In the meantime, enjoy finding out where 'your' birds featured in the top 20.  And have a great Easter weekend.  When not eating chocolate, the kids and I plan to be looking for the first signs of spring.  Well, I can but dream...

--------------------------------------

Big Garden Birdwatch Results 2013

2013 UK species

Mean

Rank

% gardens

% change since 2012

House Sparrow

Blackbird

Blue Tit

Starling

Woodpigeon

Chaffinch

Great Tit

Goldfinch

Robin

Long tailed tit

Collared Dove

Dunnock

Magpie

Coal Tit

Feral pigeon

Greenfinch

Jackdaw

Carrion crow

Common gull

Wren

Parents
  • I'm very surprised the Common Gull is the highest-ranked gull - I live on the coast and regularly see Black-headed, Herring and Lesser Black-backed around my garden,  but not the Common.

Comment
  • I'm very surprised the Common Gull is the highest-ranked gull - I live on the coast and regularly see Black-headed, Herring and Lesser Black-backed around my garden,  but not the Common.

Children
No Data