• In search of a favourite ‘sit spot’

In recent years, I have established a holiday tradition of getting up an hour or so earlier than the rest of the family and then sitting outside to read.  At our hut on the Northumberland coast, I position my chair facing the rising sun, sheltered from the wind and enjoy coffee and peace for as long as family sleep allows.

As I sit on the cliff, the world seems to come to me.  Gulls, linnets, pipits, swallows and starlings…

• Why, post Brexit, we must mind the governance gap

August is traditionally a quiet time for policy developments.  With Parliament in recess, most years we hear very little from governments as we all enjoy the late summer sun/cloud/rain (delete as appropriate). This August however, Westminster decided to buck the usual trend, and the UK Government released a series of position papers on some of the big issues relating to the UK vote to leave the EU.  So while many of us…

• Turning the tide for the albatross

Following Stuart Housden's series of blogs in the run up to BirdFair, Steph Winnard of the RSPB/Birdlife Marine team reports back on the work carried out by the Albatross Task Force, since the receipt of BirdFair funding seventeen years ago.

Much has happened in the birding world since the BirdFair focussed its efforts on raising money for Global Seabirds.  In 2000, vast numbers of seabirds were dying in…

• Vultures: Where is the learning curve?

Today’s guest blog is from Andrew Callender, who leads the RSPB’s international policy programme work.

Vultures used to be a very common sight in the early 1990’s across the Indian sub-continent. A decade and a half later, 99.9% of white-rumped vultures  and 96.8% of the combined populations of long-billed  and slender-billed vultures in India – well over 40 million birds – were dead. The absence of vultures…

• Will you be a Guardian of Sherwood Forest?

A guest blog by Michael Copleston, RSPB's Regional Development Manager for the Midlands

The anticipation is now palpable as the days and months creep forward to RSPB opening a brand new visitor centre and take on the management of the Sherwood Forest National Nature Reserve.

I’ve just been at another superb Robin Hood Festival with my 2 year old daughter, along with thousands of other families, and how brilliant it…

• Why we must improve our response to the state of nature

Every year the UK Government publishes a set of biodiversity indicators.  These provide the official position on the state of the nation’s species, the pressures they face but also how well we are responding to these changes. These reports are of a very high quality and are by necessity incredibly detailed. If like me you are so inclined, they also invite healthy scrutiny and commentary.

The indicators themselves…