• 10 highlights from the 13th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity

For the past two weeks, my colleagues Sarah Nelson and Georgina Chandler have been in Mexico attending the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity.  They have been working with our BirdLife International partners to encourage the nations of the world to intensify efforts to halt biodiversity loss.  Here is their assessment of progress that has been made...

----------------------

10 Highlights…

• 19 Dec 2016
  • RSPB highlights of 2016

At this time of year, when the days are still getting shorter, energy levels are low and you are surrounded by people with colds, we all need something to make us feel better. So, to bring early Christmas cheer, here are twelve highlights from the RSPB year. None of these would be achieved without the support of our members and the the dedication of our staff/volunteers working alongside our partners. Thank you for everything…

• 15 Dec 2016
  • 2040: creating the future we want and nature needs

Last night, I participated in a debate about our vision for 2040.  The context, of course, was the Conservative Government’s 2015 manifesto commitment to restore biodiversity in 25 years which will be brought to life through Defra’s ‘soon’ to be published 25 year environment framework. 

To prepare for the debate, I thought I would see what the futurists are predicting about social trends, technological…

• 9 Dec 2016
  • National commitments fall short of action needed to safeguard nature around the world

While EU Commissioners were announcing that the EU Birds and Habitats & Species Directives were safe (here), the nations of the world are also meeting in Mexico to discuss progress on meeting their international commitments to halt the loss of biodiversity.  My colleagues, Sarah Nelson and Georgina Chandler, are in Cancun to encourage leaders to increase ambition and action. Here, they share the findings of a new report…

• 8 Dec 2016
  • The EU Nature Directives are safe - so what next for protection of UK wildlife?

It’s been a roller-coaster of a year and so, as 2016 draws to a close, I am delighted to be able to report good news about European wildlife - news which also has huge significance for the future of nature conservation in the UK.

Following a comprehensive 2-year evaluation process, the European Commission announced yesterday that the EU Birds and Habitats & Species Directives (the ‘Nature’ Directives) would not…

• 8 Dec 2016
  • The future of the EU Nature Directives hangs in the balance

This Wednesday, European Commissioners (including UK Commissioner Sir Julian King) will decide whether to save the EU’s flagship environment laws - the Birds and Habitats & Species Directives.  This decision follows a public consultation with a record 520,000 respondents and an 18 month campaign run by BirdLife International and other environmental NGOs across Europe. 

Just last week, I was reminded of the importance…

• 5 Dec 2016
  • Good new for a Friday: positive first step towards a brighter future for migratory birds wintering in West Africa

Last week, two colleagues traveled south to West Africa – following the route of some of the UK’s fastest declining migratory species. West Africa is a critical stop-over and wintering area for species like wood warbler and pied flycatcher, and we believe that unsustainable land use in the region may be driving some of the declines we’re seeing here in their UK-breeding populations.  Below, Kate Hand…

• 2 Dec 2016