• Farming for the future

After the wet Bank Holiday weekend I am looking forward to going to Hope Farm tomorrow.  It will be good to catch up with our farm manager, Ian Dillon, to hear about harvest and results from this year’s breeding season.  Together we’ll be hosting some new visitors and, as ever, it will be interesting to see how they respond to what we have achieved over the past 15 years or so.

Arable flowers at Hope Farm…

• One big, birding family saving species and special places

My first week back after an excellent holiday ended with a visit to Birdfair on Friday.  It was a great to bump in to so many friends and there was a lovely, warm atmosphere.  It felt like one, big birding family epitomised by over 20 Birdlife International Partners from five continents represented at the RSPB reception hosted by my boss, Mike Clarke.  

Earlier that day, we (and I mean 'we' given that the RSPB is the UK…

• Showcasing our reserves part two - guest post from Patrick Cashman

In the second post showcasing our reserves, Patrick Cashman talks about how nature can recover, given a helping hand...

Collectively, RSPB nature reserves make a significant contribution to preserving some of the UK’s best natural sites, habitats and landscapes. 

However, as seminal documents like the State of Nature report remind us, nature is in deep trouble and much of our natural heritage has been worn away…

• Showcasing our reserves - guest post from Grahame Madge

Today we have a guest post from Grahame Madge. Grahame tells us about how it's not just birds that benefit on RSPB nature reserves.

Visit any of our nature reserves  and one of the first things that we hope you notice is the teeming birdlife.

From the chattering songs of reed and sedge warblers at Marazion Marsh to the mournful wailing of singing red-throated divers on Fetlar, our 214 reserves span the UK from Cornwall…

• Guest post by Mike Clarke: hen harriers and the glorious 12th

Today, we have a guest post from RSPB Chief Executive Dr Mike Clarke. As the grouse shooting season begins, Mike talks about hen harrier conservation...

Two weeks ago I was at the CLA Game Fair, talking direct to a range of people from the shooting and countryside sports communities. This weekend I was in Buxton, Derbyshire, celebrating “Hen Harrier Day” with Birders Against Wildlife Crime and hundreds of…

• Hen harriers and YFTB (again!)

In this guest post from Jeff Knott, RSPB Head of Nature Policy, he talks about his visit to the CLA Game Fair, the fortunes of hen harriers and the latest from You Forgot the Birds:

I’ve just got back from a weekend spent at the CLA Game Fair.

While every year there are some challenging discussions, this is an event I genuinely look forward to. The opportunity to engage with the shooting community in all its variety…