• Guest blog: Conserving Kazakhstan’s golden treasures on a breathtaking scale by Stephanie Ward and Geoff Welch

This year, I have been slightly obsessing about the need to protect the best wildlife areas.  At times in the UK, if we are lucky, we talk about protecting a few hundred hectares.  Other countries sometimes have the opportunity of thinking on a grander scale.  Here is a grand-daddy of an example from my colleagues Stephanie Ward and Geoff Welch...

Imagine standing in an endless sea of gently waving grass dotted with red…

• Why I am voting for Bob

A couple of weeks ago - around the time I was watching a red squirrel dancing in the trees in the Pyrenees - the RSPB launched a new campaign designed to raise the political profile of nature conservation.

Through our 'Vote for Bob' campaign we want to tap into people's latent concern about wildlife and inspire them to act in a way that encourages politicians to do the things that people care about and that nature…

• A short tale from the Pyrenees

Having driven the family for four hours through the Pyrenean mountains, it was perhaps no surprise that my daughter tumbled out of the car and promptly threw up on the entrance to La Rectoria.  We were late for our scheduled visit to see the vultures of the Muntanya d'Alinya, a large private estate in Catalonia.  It had seemed like the perfect way to fill 'turnaround Saturday' - the day when the world and his dog seemed…

• Reply to GWCT letter to The Times on grouse moor management

I'm still on holiday this week, so here's another guest post. This time from RSPB Director of Scotland, Stuart Housden:

Last Thursday, Teresa Dent, Chief Executive of the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT), who has recently been appointed to the Board of Natural England, sent a letter to 'The Times' on grouse moor management, and it was widely promoted by GWCT. Although it wasn't published, I thought…

• Revelling in diversity

One of the great joys of the UK nature conservation scene is the rich mix of organisations that you get to work with.

There are societies, charities and local groups that work on pretty much every taxonomic group including algae, amphibians, badgers, bats, beesbryophytes, bugs, butterflies, cetaceans, dragonflies, fungi, hedgehogs, plants (x2), sharkssnails, spiders, trees, oh and birds.  There are also 47 wildlife trusts…

• Hen Harriers: two things

I am going on holiday tomorrow: travelling with the family by train to the Pyrenees.  Lucky me.

Before I go I wanted to do two things.

First, to wish people well for a successful Hen Harrier Day on Sunday.  Although I will not be able to join the hundreds of people that plan to participate in the rallies.  I do plan to join the thousands of people that I hope take part through social media (so-called 'thunderclap'…

• Squaring up to our food and farming challenges

I'm on holiday this week, so I've lined up Dan Crossley, Executive Director at Food Ethics Council, for a this guest blog post.

The RSPB is among ten organisations that have come together to call for a more integrated approach to policy across food, farming, the environment and public health. In a new report, 'Square Meal: why we need a new recipe for the future', we set out a different vision for food and farming…