• What Price Power from the Severn?

Gwyn Williams, Head of Reserves and Protected Areas, contributes this blog about the Severn Barrage, following this week’s publicity around a new proposal by Hafren Power:

With a week gone, Martin’s prediction that it was likely to be a quiet fortnight is looking a little insecure, given the coverage over the weekend [19 August] to a new proposal from Hafren Power for an energy-generating barrage across the Severn…

• Proof that we need to cherish protected areas across the UK

Today’s guest blogger is Richard Bradbury from our Conservation Science team.

Our changing climate is forcing wildlife to move in response (see this blog, 26th June) – yet for decades nature conservation has placed huge emphasis on protected areas which are, by their very nature, fixed – do they have a future as climate change takes its toll? The answer, which we reveal in a paper published today in a leading scientific…

• A special announcement

I am now on holiday.  While there may be the odd guest blog appearing here, it is likley to be a quiet fortnight.  Normal blog service will resume on 28 August.

• The sun sets on London week

In honour of the Olympics, I have invited our London team to provide an insight into the wildlife and our work in our capital city.  So, if you need a break from watching badminton, basketball or beach volleyball (can you ever tire of beach volleyball?), here's a glimpse of what will still be there long after the Games moves on to Rio...

Old father Thames has been a bit neglected of late. His beard’s full of crumbs…

• The one with... friends

In honour of the Olympics, I have invited our London team to provide an insight into the wildlife and our work in our capital city.  So, if you need a break from watching fencing, football or field hockey, here's a glimpse of what will still be there long after the Games moves on to Rio...

The American sit-com Friends had 236 episodes, each, bar the first, and last, had a title, which started with the words "The One…

• The view from the city

In honour of the Olympics, I have invited our London team to provide an insight into the wildlife and our work in our capital city.  So, if you need a break from watching cycling, swimming or steeplechase, here's a glimpse of what will still be there long after the Games moves on to Rio...

Common Agricultural Policyzzzzzzzzzz. No. Don’t fall asleep. This is really important.

The UK has no wilderness. Almost…

• London calling: round 2

In honour of the Olympics, I have invited our London team to provide an insight into the wildlife and our work in our capital city.  So, if you need a break from watching rowing, running or rhythmic gymnastics, here's a glimpse of what will still be there long after the Games moves on to Rio...

East London, the focus of global sporting coverage right now, includes some of the UK’s most deprived boroughs. Hackney…

• London calling: a walk on the wild side of our capital city

In honour of the Olympics, I have invited our London team to provide an insight into the wildlife and our work in our capital city.  So, if you need a break from watching handball, hockey or the hundred metres, here's a glimpse of what will still be there long after the Games moves on to Rio...

8.2 million People can’t be wrong. London is a great place to live. Metre for metre it has more green space than most other…

• "It’s hard to deal with hate"

Regular readers of this blog will know what the RSPB thinks about the Angling Trust’s calls to get cormorants and goosanders added to the general licence – I’ve blogged on this subject here and here

I invite you now to read someone else’s view.  In the latest issue of Birds magazine, Simon Barnes offers his own opinion on the controversy surrounding the much-maligned cormorant.  You can read his…

• A Cornish treat

Cornwall – the home of endless coast, cream teas, pasties and some fabulous wildlife. 

I have just returned from an excellent three days with our south-west regional team and we were lucky enough to bump into all of the above.  A fabulous trip.

It even stopped raining for some of the time.

Much of our work in Cornwall and the Scilly Isles focuses on recovering threatened species such as chough, cirl bunting, corn…

• Saving the spoon-billed sandpiper – a three-pronged attack

I thought  that it was time for one of my occasional forays into our international work.  This report comes from my colleague, Ian Fisher...

Earlier this month, 14 spoon-billed sandpipers hatched in captivity at Slimbridge Wetland Centre as part of an ambitious and exciting partnership between the RSPB, WWT, Birds Russia, Moscow Zoo, BTO, BirdLife International, ArcCona Consulting and the Spoon-billed Sandpiper Task…