• A comment on UK Government plans to “build, build, build” and why we must grow back better

On Tuesday, 10,000 people will take part in a virtual mass lobby of MPs to urge them to put people, nature and climate at the heart of plans to rebuild our economy.

This is expected to coincide with a speech by the Prime Minister outlining his plan “to build UK back to health”.

As widely reported in the media over the past few days (see for example here, here and here), the UK Government is developing plans…

• How to kick-start the recovery of both nature and the economy

Last week I wrote about the why nature must be at the heart of the economic recovery from the impact the pandemic.

In the coming days, weeks and months, decisions will be made which will have profound consequences for our natural world and our climate for decades to come.

At this crucial time, we need politicians to do three things: maintain and improve vital legal protections for our wildlife (eg by giving the Westminster…

• A round up of some good news for a Friday

I want to end the week with some good news: for mountain hares, for farm standards, for waterbirds and for albatrosses.

First, it was fantastic to hear that after more than 10 years of advocacy, this week we finally secured protection for mountain hares in Scotland from large scale grouse moor culls following a vote in the Scottish Parliament (relating to an amendment the Animal Welfare Bill).  This news was incredibly…

• A comment on why nature needs us all

It seems crazy that in twenty-first century UK we still have to say it, but there is absolutely no excuse for the abuse and barriers that our Black communities face every day.  Racism is not acceptable.  And it is clear that our sector needs to do more to combat its impacts on our employees, volunteers, members, supporters and visitors. 

It should be a national scandal that there is not equal access to nature (see for example…

• Four reasons why nature must be at the heart of the economic recovery

It’s now clear that yet another tragedy of this awful virus will be lost livelihoods and financial struggle for many.   

Friday’s economic figures hit the headlines when the Office for National Statistics reported that GDP had fallen by 10.4% in the first three months of 2020 and by 20.4% in April.  .  We do not yet have the unemployment figure, but this is clearly likely to rise with the Office for Budget suggesting…

• Help the Westminster Environment Bill return with ambition and teeth

This week, we completed a review of our advocacy priorities in light of the Covid-19 pandemic.  While we are clearly stepping up our calls for nature to be at the heart of the economic recovery (more on this later in the week), we are also determined to finish what we started in calling for an ambitious global deal for nature, reform to our food and farming system and new laws to drive nature’s recovery across the UK.…

• Tackling threats to our shared nature: court challenge to “illegal” Lisbon airport on internationally important wetland

This week, I took part in the latest Global Council meeting of BirdLife International.  Unsurprisingly, we took some time to compare notes on the responses that partners around the world are experiencing in light of Covid-19 - a mix of the good (including the green recovery package outlined by the New Zealand Government), the bad (massive reduction in funding for protected areas in countries like Mexico) and the ugly …

• Good news for World Environment Day: a boost for nature conservation in the UK's Overseas Territories

We all need some good news especially on World Environment Day.  So, I am delighted to share some excellent news about a boost for nature conservation in the UK's Overseas Territories (UKOTs).  Below, my colleague Jonathan Hall, who leads our work in the UKOTs, reports on the support we have secured from the UK Government.

-------------------------------------    

The UK Overseas Territories hold over 94% of unique British…

• A global response to a shared crisis

I usually spend summer half term at my wife’s family hut on the Northumberland coast.  This year was meant to be different because I was due to be in Norway with the Cairngorms Connect team – to be inspired by landscapes which are analogous to the vision we have for the Highlands.  Instead, of course, I spent a week at home.  To expand my home range, I fixed my bike and explored the Cambridgeshire countryside…

• A round up of some good news for International Biodiversity Day

Today is International Biodiversity Day – a chance to celebrate the millions of species with which we share this beautiful planet. 

I have always believed in the intrinsic value of species – the right for a species to exist.  It is the primary reason why I work in conservation.  But I also know that nature is fundamental to human existence – helping to provide food, regulate our climate, provide clean water,…

• Our shared agenda for a green recovery and conditions for optimism

Last night the Prime Minister outlined the headlines of a "conditional plan" for how we might emerge from the lockdown.  We were, of course, listening very carefully and will respond to any detailed guidance that emerges from political leaders across the UK.  Our latest statement can be found here.

While there is intense interest in how government restrictions will be lifted, we are also keen to ensure the right…

• A comment on International Dawn Chorus Day in Lockdown

Tomorrow is International Dawn Chorus Day - a day to celebrate the early morning swell of birdsong.  Even if you don’t want to get up with the birds at dawn, it’s the perfect time to throw open your windows and let the birdsong in.   

My daughter and I ventured out at dawn this morning to our local common and we were greeted with a cacophony from blackbirds, blackcaps, chiffchaffs, wrens and robins.  It was very…

• An update on the RSPB’s review of its policy on gamebird shooting (3)

The consultation phase of the review of the RSPB’s policy on gamebird shooting has ended, so I thought it would be timely to provide an update of progress. 

As you may recall, we are doing the review because there is growing public concern and mounting scientific evidence about the environmental impacts of the most intensive form of shooting especially driven grouse moor management (which involves shooting our native…

• BirdLife International call for a new right to be included in the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights

To mark the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, the CEO of BirdLife International, Patricia Zurita, has written to the Secretary General of the UN António Guterres to convince the UN to include the right to a healthy natural environment in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  

The text of the letter is shown below. 

Given the growing understanding of the value of nature to our own species, this right seems long…

• An update on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the RSPB and our sector

The coronavirus pandemic continues to take a heavy toll on global society.  My thoughts are with all of those affected by the virus and especially those working on the frontline in health services around the world.  All of us that have friends or families cared for by the National Health Service in this country are hugely grateful for the incredible work carried out by our medical professionals.

As I wrote last week, the…

• A comment on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the work of the RSPB

Since I last wrote on 17 March, our whole way of life has been upended.  From a personal perspective, it's probably been the most challenging period of my career and arguably some of the most challenging weeks in the long history of the RSPB.  We’ve closed our nature reserves, halted our field work, postponed some vital conservation work such as the Gough Island Restoration Programme, brought home colleagues from…

• An update on the Gough Island restoration programme

As I said in my previous post, we have been doing a lot of contingency planning in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is to make sure that as much of the RSPB's work keeps going as possible. That is the aim, but we also must be practical and ensure staff safety and project feasibility. It will sometimes involve making some tough decisions.

One area of work where we have had to make an incredibly difficult but essential…

• Short comment on the delay in the UN Convention on Biological Diversity negotiations

It is now inevitable yet still deeply disappointing that I shall have to report postponements of major conservation initiatives over the coming days.  Today's has particular symbolism.  October 2020 was supposed to be the month the world made a renewed commitment to tackle the biodiversity crisis. The UN Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) has been working to develop an ambitious global framework of action for the…

• Why 18,458 is a magic number

This past week has been intense and deeply unsettling.  It is now clear that our lives will be massively disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. 

Like everyone else, we have been doing contingency planning designed to keep the RSPB's work going, adhering to government advice and of course playing our part in keeping our people safe.

While none of us know how this will unfold, I am determined to carry on sharing information…

• Response to Budget 2020

On Monday, I posed some environmental tests for the Budget: to back up strong political commitments to restore nature in a generation with adequate resourcing; to reverse declines in public spending on nature; and also to ensure the ensure that the UK Government sounds consistent and coherent on the environment.

The new Chancellor Rishi Sunak has delivered his first Budget and what follows below is our assessment based…

• Woodlands for climate and nature? New RSPB report published to help navigate the evidence maze

The conversation about how nature can help us tackle climate change has become dominated by trees.  Today, the RSPB publishes a report reviewing the evidence about how different approaches to woodland expansion can help or indeed hinder our attempts to address the climate and ecological emergency.  This (slightly longer than usual) blog gives outlines the key messages from the report.

Conifer plantation alongside fridd…

• Environmental tests for Budget 2020

The Super Year of 2020 isn’t quite panning out as anticipated.  First the floods and now coronavirus is dominating the headlines.

Despite growing and understandable fears about the impact of the epidemic, the UK Government must find time to retain its focus on backing up its promises to restore nature in a generation. 

This means ensuring the package of Brexit laws (for Environment, Agriculture and Fisheries) passing…

• A reflection on last week’s global biodiversity talks by Georgina Chandler

With just eight months left before the world is due to agree a new global framework for nature under the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, my colleague Georgina Chandler reflects on her week taking part in discussions about the post-2020 agenda in Rome.   

These talks matter as the resulting agreement will become the global plan to tackle the biodiversity crisis and is the plan which ratifying parties like the UK will…

• An update on the RSPB’s review of its policy on gamebird shooting and an opportunity to share views

At last year’s AGM, the Chair of the RSPB’s Council announced that we would be reviewing our policy on gamebird shooting.  Today, I provide details about how we shall run the review and how you can give us your views.

Background to the review

We are undertaking the review because there is growing public concern and mounting scientific evidence about the environmental impacts of the most intensive form of shooting…

• A critique of the Westminster Environment Bill

Following the General Election at the end of last year, several significant pieces of environmental legislation have been published: the Agriculture, Fisheries and Environment Bills.   You can find a critique of the Agriculture Bill here, the UK Fisheries Bill here and today I provide (thanks to our team) a more detailed assessment of the Environment Bill which was published a fortnight ago.  At the end of this blog I explain…