This is a graph of waxwing sighting from this year's Big Garden Birdwatch - as expected it looks very different from those of recent years with many more sightings.

And there seem still to be lots of waxwings around.  I heard today of sightings in Rothamstead, Herts and there are quite a few around in east Northants still.  A waxwing winter is turning into a waxwing spring?

More than 600,000 people took part - one way to Step up for Nature.  The results are set out here.

Parents
  • It is great that the number of Big Garden Birdwatchers that took part this year was a record, their numbers just keep going up each year. Very interesting that their are still a lot of waxwings around. It has been a cold winter in the UK but much more so in Sandinavia I believe and I would imagine Spring is much further behind over there, so it is amazing how birds seem to "know" just when it is the right time to migrate. It is almost as though they know what the conditions are several hundred or thousands of miles away from where they currently are.

Comment
  • It is great that the number of Big Garden Birdwatchers that took part this year was a record, their numbers just keep going up each year. Very interesting that their are still a lot of waxwings around. It has been a cold winter in the UK but much more so in Sandinavia I believe and I would imagine Spring is much further behind over there, so it is amazing how birds seem to "know" just when it is the right time to migrate. It is almost as though they know what the conditions are several hundred or thousands of miles away from where they currently are.

Children
No Data