This is a catch-up on white-tailed eagles.

Last Monday's East Anglia Daily Times had a two-page spread on the subject of white-tailed eagles. It included large chunks of my blog (6 January) on myths about white-tailed eagles, Derek Moore's comments which also appeared here on my blog, a piece by Nicola Currie, the CLA's Regional Director, and an article about the value of white-tailed eagles to the local economy. 

The CLA are still questioning whether white-tailed eagles have a history of occurrence - but not with any data.  Nicola Currie writes 'Archeological evidence is claimed to show that the sea eagle was here long ago...'.  In fact, archeological evidence shows that this bird was here long ago, and other evidence shows that they remained until not that long ago!

Iain Dunnett, the manager of the Suffolk - the Greenest County project, has visited Mull and Hungary to see places where white-tailed eagles live alongside agriculture and says that in both places 'the local population, including farmers, have embraced the eagle.'.  He also writes 'The challenge for farmers and landowners is to overcome perceived fears and enable the reintroduction to occur with farmers receiving the maximum benefit.'.  So, no doubt about what Mr Dunnett thinks but I would re-write his sentence as follows 'The challenge for farmers and landowners is to overcome perceived fears and enable the reintroduction to occur with farmers receiving fair compensation for any damage and allowing the wider community to experience the maximum benefit.'.  But I wouldn't change a word from his conclusion 'Whether viewed following a fishing boat or roosting in a pine tree this bird would add further majesty to, and enrich the atmosphere of, the Suffolk coast.'.  This is a very welcome viewpoint - the economic value of these birds, and spiritual value too, should not be overlooked.

A letter also appeared from BASC Regional Officer which talked a lot of sense, such as 'Sea eagles simply do not have the agility and would waste more energy pursuing game birds than they would gain from it.  Like buzzards they prefer carrion.'.

And I received a letter from an academic from Southampton University, Dale Serjeantson, whose speciality is zooarcheology.  She was irritated to read newspaper reports that white-tailed eagles had never bred in East Anglia as she regards the data as 'quite abundant' that they did.  In fact, these birds must have been 'quite common' in her (expert) opinion.  Ms Serjeantson sent me a chapter she has written on extinct British birds which will appear in a book later this year.  I might send the CLA a copy when the book is published.

Overall, it seems that the hysteria is dying away and the potential return of the white-tailed eagle to lowland England is being talked about in a more rational way.

• Hi Bob while the RSPB want us to believe it impossible for Eagle Owls to get here and those here MUST be escapees if photos of them on oil platforms presumably in North Sea ARE accurate then the position has to be similar to Sea Eagle surely especially as a lot of the food of both birds likely to be similar.Seems the whole enquiry into having a cull of Eagle Owls kept very quiet and so makes many of us suspicious.

Think the RSPB need to make clear their position on E O and if as been suggested by some they seem to be leaning towards a cull need to tell us the reasoning as already people not renewing membership on the basis of upset with RSPB position.Sincerely hope my information of RSPB position is wrong but if so important for them to make position clear.From reading Major Anthony Crease I tend to think they need protecting and at least you will get some practice for when East Anglian Sea Eagles start nesting because I feel RSPB have no idea how difficult that will be,for sure ten times more difficult than Mull and the experience of other countries has no relevance to this countries bird problems.

• Mark,  Sooty does make a reasonable point.  The average member of the public will have difficulty in separating the two approaches.   I know it has been done before but perhaps the difference between introduction and re-introduction does need to be reinforced.  Bob

• Hi Mark feel sure everything you say is correct but just think the challenge bit for landowners and farmers maybe need a bit of time to come round as after all it seems a long time it has taken me to get what I  would call sufficient information.I know that I have asked a big lot of questions but suspect I did know much more about Sea Eagles than most East Anglian landowners and farmers at the beginning and after all they have there living to worry about as they think.Feel sure just need helping along the way with proven facts.For certain almost anyone who does see one will feel very privileged but that won't be many I assure you as assuming there are 25 or more on Mull my guess is plenty of people unless they go to hide at Loch Frisa will not see one while searching for a week.Seems to me if my understanding is correct there is a strange stance by RSPB of desperately wanting Sea Eagles in Suffolk yet at the same time leaning towards a cull of Eagle Owls surely they ought to consider protecting the EO.Would appreciate your views if allowed.    

• Mark,  I tried to look at the EADT article but couldn't find it on their website.  I did stumble across an article from early January that did claim that the project had been delayed until 2011.  I do have a problem with believing everything I read in the papers and was windering if this is correct.  Bob