Stepping up for nature  - that's our latest campaign and you'll hear much more about it over the next weeks, months and years.

There was an interesting piece on the Today programme this morning (at about 0740) with RSPB spokespeople and the Defra Secretary of State, Caroline Spelman, as well as Farming Today and an early start for me on BBC Breakfast.

Mrs Spelman said some nice things about the RSPB and the need for our campaign.

Today there is also a hand-in of the 350,000+ signatures from Letter to the Future into 10 Downing Street, an event for some of our campaigning members and another event this evening where Caroline Spelman will talk to us.

It's a long day but a good one. 

• Oh in fact i can listen via your links, thanks for this also

• Way to stick it to me! Only a few days ago I commented on how I wanted the RSPB to be more vocal! Got what I wanted, how rare is that in todays world. Would love to have heard/seen them, but alas am in Thailand.

What are the alternative options for grazery farmers in terms of peripheral seeding? I wondeed about a subsidy payment to encourage farmers to refence 2-3 m from existing borders. Creating green corridors for grasses and herbaceous plants to reach maturity. Im doning it on the farm im involved with, but many would demand compebsation for lost resource. Ive digressed, as usual!

• Just listened to the Today piece Mark. Overall a pretty good piece, only spoilt by the weak prodding from the Today presenter, who didn't push home the point about what people can do to influence the (down the plughole) trends in biodiversity. Instead she let CS prattle on about the Big Society and how important it was for (RSPB)volunteers to count the birds as they dwindle away.

Meanwhile the same Common Agricultural Policy that is paying farmers (generously) to sow seeds around the edge of their arable fields to feed the farmland birds, is at the same time forcing other farmers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and elsewhere in Europe, to destroy perfectly good wildlife + bird habitat in order that they can claim their Single Farm Payment. I have just blogged about this, but am reluctant to put the link in as you chastised me for it last time! I may feel sufficiently enthused to ask the SoS about this this evening.

Hope you have a fantastic day.

See you later