Last year we met with the pesticide producers for a wide-ranging chat about life and death. 

We agreed to work together to promote the safe use and disposal of garden pesticides (and I blogged about it at the time).

Now we have jointly produced a leaflet which you may see in a garden centre near you over the next few weeks. 

Here are the main points to keep in mind:

Ways to ensure safe use:

-       Do not buy more than you need

-       Read the label and use according to instructions

-       Check for any restrictions on use – ie near ponds, fish tanks etc

-       Use appropriate equipment to apply the chemical

-       Accurately measure the product. Do not make up more than you need

-       Only use on the area/plants where you identify a problem that needs tackling

-       Spray early morning or late evening when bees and other insects are less active

-       Spray in calm conditions, avoid spraying in strong sunshine and before or just after rain

-       Consider Ready to Use products which can be reused until empty and disposed of in household waste

Ways to ensure safe disposal:

-       Use up surplus spray solution by applying on the areas covered by the approved use

-       Never dispose of unwanted product, diluted product or rinsings in household drains or ditches

-       Rinse empty containers three times and use up rinsings by applying to the area you are treating. Containers can then be safely disposed of in household waste

-       Dispose of unused product in its container at a registered household waste site

Parents
  • The problem is the pesticide industry will not endorse the best advice which is use pesticides as sparingly as possible and preferably not at all!  I have real reservations about conservation organisations working with these companies as I believe it can send the wrong messages.

Comment
  • The problem is the pesticide industry will not endorse the best advice which is use pesticides as sparingly as possible and preferably not at all!  I have real reservations about conservation organisations working with these companies as I believe it can send the wrong messages.

Children
No Data