Yesterday afternoon we held a Parliamentary reception with the Minerals Products Association.  This celebrated the good work that a growing number of mineral extraction companies are doing to create wildlife-rich sites after they have dug big holes in the ground.

The Minister, Richard Benyon, was present and was given a bit of a poke by industry about the loss of the Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund (see earlier blog).

But I can't have a go at the Minister as he described this blog as 'very readable'.  And he'd noticed that I said some nice things about him recently - but also noted that I don't always.  This is the second time I've heard Mr Benyon mention reading this blog so I do believe he really does.

So, Sooty, redkite, BobPhilpott, nightjar, jockyshield and others you are in good company!  Although wouldn't it be funny if one of you were Mr Benyon?  Sooty - it isn't you is it?

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

• Hi Robin

Don’t get me wrong – I believe all setts in hotspot areas should be gassed (by the Army) and then re-gassed regularly thereafter until the disease ceases to manifest itself in local cattle – just as DEFRA did in Thornbury - this action worked for the following 10 years - no bTB - and Ben Bradshaw (Labour DEFRA) confirmed in a written reply that no other factor contributed to the success of this action.

As Mark knows – because he has read Prof Tim Roper’s latest ‘Badger’ book – Warwick Uni carried out field tests on the PCR technology and in short it worked – this was way back in – I think – 2005 – and – as I said above – if the corrupt Labour administration “had taken the science of the disease seriously then what you would like to be available would be in place by now”.  Remember that Labour said that the science (PCR technology) will never be used to detect bTB in badgers – dead or alive!

PCR technology was of course recently used by DEFRA itself (even under Labour!) at Pirbright to successfully and quickly detect and identify (onsite in-field) FMD – even though they rejected the science when offered it by the USA to address the big FMD outbreak that led to the UK unnecessarily destroying some 10 millions animals.- a decision made then by so-called ‘chief scientists’.

With bTB – there is no significant difference – as Warwick Uni discovered and proved!

DEFRA still suffers from scientific staff at all levels being groomed by the New Labour regime.  I understand these issues are being addressed by Ministers but it takes some time – and I quote - “to wash through”

“He who pays the piper calls the tune”

Hi Mark – I fear Ministerial flattery has gone to your head and softened those once-sharp scientifically-honed grey cells!

So what is your proposals re bTB?  Do nothing?

• Robin - thank you.  As you know, we try to get our heads around the science every time - so it's got to be the Chief Scientist.

trimbush - the RSPB has no preference for political parties - we work with all the main parties in power and in opposition.  And this was a blog where a Tory Minister in a coalition government said nice things about the RSPB remember.  And in fact the Minister said more nice things about us than I reported here - one has to try for modesty even if one fails.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

• I am one better than Mr Benyon as I do not have to play the 'party' line. And by the way, loosing our forestry is worse than loosing the crown jewels!

• As ever Trimbush gives his own particularly view, this is what the coalition Government's consultation document says on PCR:

'Defra's Chief Scientific Advisor chaired an expert group in July 2010 to consider whether a PCR test could be used to detect infected badgers or setts.  This group concluded that PCR was not a test that could be usefully used for detecting bovine TB in badgers based on the current state of knowledge, particularly in the field.'

So Mark, on this one do you go with Trimbush or the Chief Scientist?

I'm not Mr Benyon either!

• I'm not Mr Benyon, "honest gov".  

redkite