On Thursday evening I took part in an event in Ely where the RSPB laid out our Fens Futurescapes plans to a room full of farmers and others.  It was also by way of a big 'thank you' to farmers with whom we have been working in the Fens for years on farmland bird recovery projects.

It was nice to see the event and the project covered very positively in Farmers' Guardian and Farmers' Weekly

Several farmers on the night came and thanked me for the help of local RSPB staff in filling in forms (at no charge) which led to HLS agreements coming their way and for the RSPB's campaign over the summer to protect agri-environment funding from potential government cuts.  It was very easy to 'love these farmers to bits' - because they are 'stepping up for nature'.

This was the type of event that cheers me up.  I had a stinking cold, had been late to bed the night before, early up that morning and had an almost 2 hour drive home from Ely in front of me - but as I left I was buoyed up by the warmth of the farmers in the audience and the obviously good working relationships that we have with them. 

The Fens are special - big skies and open landscapes.  Together we can fill the air with the sound of buzzing bumblebees and singing skylarks - we can turn up the volume on the Fenland Futurescape.

Parents
  • Thanks Bob and having read that I think both sides must be a bit prickly me included interpreting things a little incorrectly but if both sides continue doing things for wildlife whether it be N F U or individual farmers then even though it will be a long hard slog before we see big improvements at least if we halt the decline and get small improvements in wildlife think the RSPB can take a lot of credit.

Comment
  • Thanks Bob and having read that I think both sides must be a bit prickly me included interpreting things a little incorrectly but if both sides continue doing things for wildlife whether it be N F U or individual farmers then even though it will be a long hard slog before we see big improvements at least if we halt the decline and get small improvements in wildlife think the RSPB can take a lot of credit.

Children
No Data