At Hope Farm we count birds in every month of the year.  The breeding numbers are key, but the winter figures are interesting and tell us something about the feeding conditions for those hardy species that stay with us through the winter.

A few days ago the December count was done at Hope Farm by a gang of counters.

In December 2000, soon after we acquired Hope Farm, the count, of 22 species, and including wood pigeons, was of 203 birds.

This week, there were 2075 birds of 44 species - quite an increase.  Even if you exclude wood pigeons (c600), pheasants and rooks (c150) there were over 1400 birds on the farmland.  That's actually a 10-fold increase in a 10-year period.

Species of note include 199 yellowhammer, 172 skylark, 61 linnet,  27 bullfinch, 137 redwing, 37 grey partridge, 1 corn bunting, jack snipe and waxwing.

Bullfinch and grey partridge counts are a record for any winter count.

Jack snipe and waxwing (grrrr!) are new species for the farm.

Hope not Hype!

• Yes Mark think however anyone looks at this it is a fantastic result and i am not going to knock anything good like that.The big problem is getting the message over and even if only some of the things Hope Farm does are done on a proportion of farms the end result must be a improvement and of course do not think there can be any argument that farming at Hope Farm is what people who comment on here call INTENSIVE so perhaps if you agree with that the RSPB could emphasise that intensive farming and improved bird numbers can go together.Congratulations but although i understand why you changed the farm name for historic reference think it a pity it was changed but a minor point compared to improved bird numbers.Without doubt the big problem is getting the message across and help from DEFRA and NFU would be a big help i would think.

• Brilliant, just shows what can be done to help farmland birds and wildlife and still have a very productive and profitable farm.