At Hope Farm we count birds in every month of the year.  The breeding numbers are key, but the winter figures are interesting and tell us something about the feeding conditions for those hardy species that stay with us through the winter.

A few days ago the December count was done at Hope Farm by a gang of counters.

In December 2000, soon after we acquired Hope Farm, the count, of 22 species, and including wood pigeons, was of 203 birds.

This week, there were 2075 birds of 44 species - quite an increase.  Even if you exclude wood pigeons (c600), pheasants and rooks (c150) there were over 1400 birds on the farmland.  That's actually a 10-fold increase in a 10-year period.

Species of note include 199 yellowhammer, 172 skylark, 61 linnet,  27 bullfinch, 137 redwing, 37 grey partridge, 1 corn bunting, jack snipe and waxwing.

Bullfinch and grey partridge counts are a record for any winter count.

Jack snipe and waxwing (grrrr!) are new species for the farm.

Hope not Hype!

Parents
  • Mark

I am interested to know if the farmland at Hope Farm has been de- intensified somewhat to achieve this increase in bird numbers and species. I would also like to know if you have been monitoring invertebrates over the 10 years as this would be a brilliant way to show whether biodiversity of birds is strongly linked to invertebrate biodiversity and abundance

Comment
  • Mark

I am interested to know if the farmland at Hope Farm has been de- intensified somewhat to achieve this increase in bird numbers and species. I would also like to know if you have been monitoring invertebrates over the 10 years as this would be a brilliant way to show whether biodiversity of birds is strongly linked to invertebrate biodiversity and abundance

Children
No Data