I don't always agree with Charles Clover but he is always worth reading.  Last weekend he was arguing that there is a lot of unfinished business with forestry - a line not that dissimilar from our own in the RSPB.  And although Charles's article in the Sunday Times is pretty robustly written our view is simply that this is an opportunity for further improvement in how our forests and other land are managed by the FC.  It seems as though Jonathon Porritt is catching up with this view too in an article also hidden behind Rupert Murdoch's pay-wall in The Times.  The Guardian also had another think about the issue.  Government would be wrong if they thought that this issue will simply melt away like a Sitka spruce in the fog.

And our joint proposal with other NGOs and buiness for a UK peat levy was picked up in the Irish Times as well as the Telegraph, BBC online and  Daily Express.

Parents
  • mirlo - great comment, thank you.  I don't agree with all of it but it's a great comment thank you.

Yes peat bogs are being damaged in lots of ways across the world - hardly a justification for us to damage ours.

I'm not an expert on horticulture - but many people tell me that peat alternatives are perfectly good for almost all uses.  There is always reluctance to change - the removal of lead in petrol was going to bring us to our knees - it didn't.

I didn't say the problem arose in the 1990s.

Maximising species diversity is not what nature conservation is about.  There aren't many species in the Arctic but polar bears are still important.

Comment
  • mirlo - great comment, thank you.  I don't agree with all of it but it's a great comment thank you.

Yes peat bogs are being damaged in lots of ways across the world - hardly a justification for us to damage ours.

I'm not an expert on horticulture - but many people tell me that peat alternatives are perfectly good for almost all uses.  There is always reluctance to change - the removal of lead in petrol was going to bring us to our knees - it didn't.

I didn't say the problem arose in the 1990s.

Maximising species diversity is not what nature conservation is about.  There aren't many species in the Arctic but polar bears are still important.

Children
No Data