• An update from the aviaries (by Heather Richards)

The six white-tailed eagle chicks have been settling well into their new home in Fife.  On arrival, the chicks were given a health check by the vet and blood and faecal samples were taken.  The blood samples will be used to confirm the sex of the individuals as well as to screen for disease.  Although, we are still waiting confirmation from the blood samples, we have estimated that we have three males and three females!…

• My Norwegian Adventure...continued!

Unfortunately, the theme of single chicks and empty nests continued. Despite another 3:30 am finish, and no matter how many nests we visited, it became apparent that the Norwegian white tailed eagles were having an “off year”. We visited some incredible areas during this time. We ventured deep into the fjords and scaled some harsh and steep terrain to check nests. On the other hand there was one nest on an island 400m…

• My Norwegian Adventure (part 1)

This year’s trip to Norway to collect the final batch of sea eagle chicks got off to an ambitious start. Being the last year of the project, there were high hopes of getting the maximum number of 20 chicks to bring back to Scotland! I had even been in training to try and keep up with Alv Ottar Folkestad of the Norwegian Ornithological Society, who has been monitoring white-tailed eagles  for about 40 years. He is…