• Norway - part 4

It is often hard to see into the nests in Norway  you can see a nest is active but can't see how many heads are in there. We drove to nest, pulling over at the side of the road to check it with the scope before we walked in. amazingly we could see 3 heads, triplets! This is great as it means we can collect two chicks from this nest, triplets are quite rare as not many pairs are able to feed 3 chicks or build a nest…

• Norway - part 3

On the 19th we drove to some sites further north and collected our youngest chick from a large over-hanging birch tree, this was a nest we tried to collect from last year, but following a storm both chicks were found dead in the nest. The chicks react differently to your head popping over the edge of the nest depending on their age and personality. The younger/quieter chicks tend to flatten themselves, lying as low as…

• Norway - part 2

Sorry I am having to write this in sections as I just wrote a whole blog post with all the photos in and it didn't upload properly so having to start again!

The next day was not quite as successful, we were out with Monica, a present of a radio programme very similar to 'Out of Door's dealing with all things in the countryside for NRK (the Norwegian equivalent of the BBC). The media in Norway are also interested in…

• Norway - part 1

As always at this time on year I am now chasing my tail, with 16 new hungry mouths to feed twice a day! We imported our latest batch  on Friday 24th June, bringing the project total to 80 over the last five years. But, before I get to that I thought you would like to see how chick collection went in Norway.....

I flew into Alesund from Aberdeen on the 15th June, it was still light as we chatted all things sea eagle at 11pm…

• Off to Norway

The cages are all clean and ready, not an eagle dropping in sight from last year and the nice, soft nests made from garden bark and sphagnum moss are built,. The freezers are nearly full and I have arranged to pick up some haddock from M&M Spinks in Arbroath and some waste venison from Highland Game next week. My phonecalls in the office always cause a lot of laughter as people overheard me say ‘Necks? Oh yes they love…

• Oh I do like to be beside the seaside......

....I do like to be the sea, especially if I'm a young sea eagle...making the best use of the themals during a warm April and heading south from Angus to the to the Forth.

TurquoiseZ, H, X and Z have all spent most of April and May there being joined by 1 and 3 year old females. Turquoise8 also broke away from the group heading even further south and spending some time in Northumberland.

TurquoiseZ (Norbett) has…