Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

This year’s Summer Solstice happens today, June 20 at 11:09pm. It notes the longest day of the year and the first day of Summer.

"The date has had spiritual significance for thousands of years as humans have been amazed by the great power of the sun. The Celts celebrated with bonfires that would add to the sun's energy, Christians placed the feast of St John the Baptist towards the end of June and it is also the festival of Li, the Chinese Goddess of light."

It also means that I have a day off with my good wife and it gives us 16 hours 38 minutes and 20 seconds of day light. What are we going to do with all these rays?  The clock starts kicking with sunrise 4.43am (maybe even earlier in the East). Here is what I think my day will endeavour to look like:

The day will hopefully finish up at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen outside Norwich to see the sunset at 9.21pm. With my streak of luck at the moment we should witness some jaw-dropping WOW moments:

However, this is not the day when the sun rises earliest in the morning or when it sets latest at night. As we'll see - the date of earliest sunrise or sunset varies from location to location around the planet. Do keep in mind the Pagans view of the Summer Solstice, they are deeply aware of the ongoing shifting of the seasons it is also time to acknowledge that the sun will now begin to decline once more towards winter (talk about glass half full).

Start the clock. Between now and August 20 the Great British Summer is up for grabs – what can you do with your time? Do let us know here in comments on our Facebook or Twitter pages. Happy Summer.

Parents
No Data
Comment
  • $core_v2_ui.GetResizedImageHtml($comment.User.AvatarUrl, 44, 44, "%{border='0px', alt=$comment.User.DisplayName, ResizeMethod='ZoomAndCrop'}")
    $core_v2_ui.UserPresence($comment.User.Id) $comment.User.DisplayName
    This comment is under review.
Children
No Data