• The best kind of wildness

Author: Bryony Tuijl. This piece was originally published in the Eastern Daily Press.

We’re climbing higher and higher. I can’t see out of the windows and I’m not sure I want to. Over the noise of the engine I can see the instructors motioning to each other and we all begin to shuffle forward slowly. Before I know it I’m sat in the open doorway of the plane, my body leant forward. We’re thirty thousand feet in the air…

• Get wild with your family this summer!

Author: Ellen Robson

Stuck for things to do with your summer holidays? There is a huge range of family friendly activities for you to try as part of the RSPB’s Wild Challenge. Completing challenges will earn you awards, so see if you can go for gold! You can sign up for free here to have a look at the full list,  but below are just a few examples of the things you can do to help give nature a home, and have fun…

• Thank you for your #SnettsHide support!

Phew!

After 34 days we have finally come to the end of our crowdfunding appeal! We have raised a whopping £14,801, through crowdfunding which includes offline donations from collection boxes at Titchwell Marsh and people very kindly sending us cheques. 

We make no apologies that during the 34 days we bombarded people’s social media feeds, asked time and time again for help, emailed thousands of people, submitted…

• Knot: What’s in a name?

Author Emily Kench

The knot is a medium sized dumpy shorebird. On the face of it, it’s nothing special, and its name appears just as plain.

Knot on The Wash, RSPB Snettisham. Photo by Andy Hay

But what’s in a name?  Well this name is thought to be steeped in history. You may have seen a blog on this topic last week, but here is a more in depth look at the origin of the name knot.

King Canute (or King…

• Natterjack toadlets on the march at The Lodge

The Lodge in Sandy, Beds, isn't just the home of the RSPB's UK and international headquarters. It's also a fantastic nature reserve with rare habitats that are home to some special wildlife.

One of the creatures thriving in the sandy heathland and seasonal pools that have been created for it (and other wildlife) is the natterjack toad, and this month RSPB Picture Researcher Ben Andrew was able to join the…

• Turtle Doves at Titchwell Marsh

Author: Carrie Carey

It’s early in the morning and the gentle but unmistakable purr of a turtle dove is carried across the silence of the empty car park at RSPB Titchwell Marsh. This soulful sound conveys a whisper of hot summer days and balmy evenings and though once common, is now the long lost background of my childhood. Sadly, a bird that I was well acquainted with in my youth is now considered at risk of global…

• Meet the couple who #LoveSnetts so much they got engaged there!

Sam Seal's husband Tim proposed to her at RSPB Snettisham in 2015. They love the place so much, they even had pink-footed geese knitted especially for the wedding! Sam explains why RSPB Snettisham is so important to her and husband Tim.

I first visited RSPB Snettisham at dawn on New Year’s Day, 2012. I had read about the pink-footed goose spectacular online, and wanted to check it out as it sounded amazing. It was…

• Where did the knot get its name?

Author: Ellen Robson

After the recent launch of our name a knot campaign, where we have been asking you to give a name to one of the 100,000 knot at RSPB Snettisham, you may be wondering why knot were called knot in the first place. The name is thought to originate from the story of King Canute (King Cnut in Danish) and the waves. This story describes how Canute goes to the shore and commands the sea to avoid him. In…