• The History of Snettisham

Author: Jim Scott - Site Manager of RSPB Snettisham Reserves

Snettisham is rich in history. The village, the beach and the reserve all have a story to tell.

A discovery of precious metals, known as the Snettisham Hoard, suggests that people have settled in Snettisham village since the Iron Age. Later, people opted to establish communities in this lovely little village, with some of the oldest buildings date back to…

• Eggs stolen from nests of rare little terns in Suffolk

The little tern is one of the UK’s rarest seabirds, having suffered chronic declines over the past 25 years. These little birds travel a 6,000 mile round trip each year to breed on the beaches of the British Isles, but their numbers have been declining as they struggle to find safe beaches to nest and feed their young, free from predators and human disturbance.

In the 1980s there were 2,500 breeding pairs, this…

• Yellow wagtail

Author: Emily Kench. This blog post originally appeared as a feature in the Eastern Daily Press Weekend magazine on 17 June 2017.

I’m not a particularly detail-oriented person. I tend to be interested in the bigger picture which on occasion means that I miss out on the intricacies of nature. Whilst I could tell you all about the reasons why our wildlife is in decline, the importance of giving nature a home, and the…

• Fat birds of barley

Author: Emily Kench. This blog post originally appeared as a feature in the Eastern Daily Press Weekend magazine on 10 June 2017.

It’s hard to avoid the media’s perception of a perfect body these days. Whether it is Myleene Klass taking a dip in the jungle, or Peter Andre baring all in a calendar – the concept of a flawless body is everywhere.

Luckily nature is largely unaffected by our crazy quirks…

• Eating our way to a world richer in nature

Author: Rupert Masefield. This blog post originally appeared in Let’s Talk.

Food, glorious food! Is there any aspect of our lives and the world we inhabit that is not touched in some way by food? It’s everywhere: at work, at home, at school, in our fridges and freezers, on supermarket shelves. Social rituals are built around the meals we share with our families, friends and colleagues, and what we eat is becoming…