• Summer in the wildlife friendly garden

Author: Sharon Barker, Flatford Wildlife Garden

Now that we’re well into August, the spotlight at the wildlife garden has subtly moved away from the birds and towards the bees and butterflies as they make the most of the current wave of flowers on display. However, our butterflies have put in a late showing this year, probably due to the dull, wet weather at the start of the season, and they are not so plentiful now…

• Happy second 20th birthday Lakenheath Fen

Author: David White, RSPB Lakenheath Fen Nature Reserve

Last year, Lakenheath Fen celebrated its twentieth birthday. Back in 1995, the first spade entered what had been a carrot field, found on the border of Cambridgeshire, to begin the creation of a new wetland nature reserve.

This month, we are celebrating another birthday. Twenty years ago this month, the very first reed was planted. This single fluffy frond marked…

• Marsh harrier success at Fen Drayton Lakes

Author: Emily Neville, Fen Drayton Lakes nature reserve

Marsh harriers are fast becoming my favourite birds. I had never even seen a marsh harrier before working at Fen Drayton Lakes but having spent so much time watching them from the welcome shelter this year, I am now fascinated by these incredible creatures.

Over the past six months I have seen our large rust brown birds of prey elegantly sky dancing, making impressive…

• Words from a wildlife friendly farmer

Author: Izzy Knights

My family owns a 500 hectare arable farm near Bury St Edmunds and I feel lucky to come from an agricultural background. When I was young I spent my days exploring the farm, searching for wildlife and often trying to save any injured animals I came across. I think this played a large role in my decision to study Zoology at University. I'm fascinated by the idea of my two biggest interests, farming…

• Book your visit to Suffolk's only wild isle!

Author: Lyndsey Record, RSPB Warden

I am fortunate enough to look after the wildlife on Suffolk’s only island, found in the beautiful River Ore. Havergate Island is a peaceful haven made up of saltmarsh, shingle and saline lagoons which support a wealth of wildlife. For those of us that think variety is the spice of life, the wonderful thing about Havergate is that it changes throughout the seasons, offering a different…

• Share the love for Broads wildlife with the RSPB

Author: Shona Howes

The surrounding birdsong floats to the forefront in joyous harmony with the happy chirps of children exploring bird houses, bug hotels, hogilos and frogilos at our bustling Nature Café at Wroxham Barns. At this time of year, swallows are the star act, with their mesmeric and energetic song; they are most definitely the guest of honour at the café.

Thankfully swallows are not a threatened…