• Bittern by the Wildlife Bug

Author: Rupert Masefield, Communications Officer, Eastern England Regional Office (EERO)

Some of my most vivid memories from my childhood are of seemingly endless hours and days spent playing in and exploring nature in the garden at my grandparents’ house. Here, together with my younger brother and assorted cousins and friends, I had many of my first encounters with all kinds of creatures in what, to my young eyes…

• Give a Frog a Home and Witness Their Spectacular Lifecycle

Author: Sarah Osborn

At first glance, frogspawn floating in a pond can have a slightly alien appearance. But looking closer at the black dots suspended in clear gelatinous orbs, soon to emerge as wriggling tadpoles, I can’t help but smile at how amazing nature is.

Whilst most people are familiar with the lifecycle of a frog, watching it unfold right in front of your eyes is enthralling. There is something magical…

• The Ouse Washes Nature Friendly Zone Logo Competition

Author: Gemma Wells, Community Engagement Officer, Ouse Washes

Last month, I had a brilliant day taking students from Lionel Walden Primary School out into the open Fens to experience firsthand the fantastic work of a nature friendly farm in Cambridgeshire.

Andy and Sarah Coulson, who own and manage Englands and Eatons Charity Farm near Wimblington, hosted 26 inquisitive Year 4 students on the sunny day that kicked…

• RSPB Flatford Wildlife Garden is Now Open to Bumblebees and All

Author: Rachael Murray, Communications Officer, Eastern England Regional Office (EERO)

On a short walk during my lunch break last week, I was delighted to spot my first bumblebee of the season. Not only is it such a joy to watch their unfeasible flight, all big furry body and tiny wings, they are usually one of the first insects to appear in spring, reminding us that, just as our patience is wearing thin with this interminable…