• Nature’s heroes do battle in the Capital

Blogger: Simon Tonkin, RSPB Senior Conservation Officer

Andrew and Allison Bond are brilliant examples of wildlife friendly farmers, and like their namesake, 007, they too are heroes, in their own, understated, way. 

Whilst they are not seen in pursuit of baddies across the vistas of iconic cities, their ideals and actions are just as heroic as any Bond plot line.  Andrew and Allison Bond are protecting the very foundation…

• It’s time to re-wild our kids with more wild time

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Communications Officer

With Halloween around the corner, scary stuff is pretty de rigueur, but when the fear inducing fodder relates to our children’s connection with nature, we at the RSPB get unseasonably jittery.

Recent news stories on the subject have highlighted that our future generation are on average spending four and a half hours a day surfing the internet or watching TV and…

• How to design your own Wildlife Garden

Blogger: Alex Johnson, Garden Designer: DesignWild Associates

It is with heart in mouth that designers go back to gardens that they have designed. In my case, I had less to fear, having seen photos of the [RSPB Flatford Wildlife] garden taken in the two years since its completion, and heard from my design partner Catherine Heatherington who had made some visits in the interim.

During its conception, a garden lives in…

• Anyone for beef?

Blogger: Jon Reeves, Reserves Livestock & Grazing Advisor

Note from Editor: Meet Riverside Beef, one of RSPB Minsmere’s corporate members.  The RSPB has a variety of partners all committed to protecting the environment and providing homes for nature.  Riverside Beef produce wildlife friendly cattle on the pastures and meadows of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.  Read on to find out how they work with their…

• We should have worn wellies

Blogger: Sarah Green Project Coordinator - Natura People Partnership Project

A few months ago I marked my very first trip to the Birdfair.  I was there to assist with the RSPB birder reception, where a small but very keen team of us mixed up approximately 350 Black Grouse whiskey cocktails for sampling by lecture attendees.

Why Black Grouse whiskey?  Well, the RSPB has a partnership with Famous Grouse whereby for…

• The RSPB - What's it all about then?

Blogger: Hannah Gray, Work Experience Volunteer - July 2013

Firstly, I have to say most people think the RSPB is all about birds and you have to know loads about birds to get involved in it. However, this is not the case, the RSPB try to conserve a multitude of habitats and animals that live in them, and a knowledge of birds whilst useful is certainly not necessary in this organisation. The RSPB offers a range of different…

• The Story of Migrants & Where have all the biscuits gone?

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Public Affairs Team Manager

Today we had a terrible thing happen in the office. It was mid afternoon, the time when the blood sugar is falling and inspiration gets up and heads for the door. Around this time we usually put the kettle on and head for the biscuit tin. We have two biscuit tins in the public affairs office and they are kept stocked with a wide assortment of goodies. Today our…