• The Great Escape: Get out and about this winter with these great offers from the RSPB in the East

Print this voucher and take it along to one of the seven RSPB nature reserves listed below to redeem the offer.

For Terms and Conditions please click here

• In at Number One

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

As my partner in crime always says “It’s better in the East”. And I couldn't agree more, especially when we can have a friendly competition with our neighbours over the number of people who have taken part in Big Garden Birdwatch this year.

How did your Birdwatch go in your local patch? Did the weather scupper you and how many cups of tea did you get through…

• Birds of a feather flock together...and so do people apparently - by Laura Harpham, Public Affairs Officer

Today I’d like to tell you a couple of stories about crowds.

To set the scene for the first story, imagine you’re in the Castle Mall in Norwich on a busy Saturday before Christmas.
    You’re wandering through and you pass a shop, empty of merchandise but there are people inside; two artists painting gorillas. You do a double-take then stop and read the sign, which tells you about the Go Go Gorillas! trail in…

• A Little Year

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Campaigns Officer

This is an important month in the bird watching world.  The first of January is the day the new year-lists start and many birdwatchers undertake the challenge of ‘A Big Year’ with the aim of seeing as many different species of birds as possible in the following 12 months.

January must be such an exciting time for birdwatchers everywhere, whether they are attempting…

• Terms and Conditions: Weekly Social Media Competitions

The RSPB will select each week the winners for our RSPB in the East social media competition on Facebook and Twitter.

• Each week we will announce how many winners will receive a prize.
    • This is open to UK residents only.
    • There is no cash alternative to the competition prize.
    • Any entry which is incomplete, illegible or late will be deemed invalid in the sole discretion of the RSPB.
    • Winners will be notified within…
  • Appreciating what we've got...by Agnes Rothon

It was only when his retrieving dog carried it back to him that C.M Inglis realised quite what he had just caught. Mr Inglis was in Darbhangar, India and he had just caught a pink-headed duck.  This wasn’t just any old duck however, it was in fact the last known wild specimen of pink-headed duck, now unseen or heard of since 1935. It’s thought that these ducks were probably lost due to the gradual loss of their chosen…

• Here comes the sun? - by Amy Crossley, Conservation Officer

You may have picked up that there has been quite a lot of media attention around the increase in proposals for large scale solar panel installations (or ‘solar farms’) in the region lately. The Conservation Team at the RSPB in the East comments on lots of planning applications each year to safeguard the region’s wildlife and habitats, and have already commented on eighteen solar farm proposals in the past three months…

• Terms and Conditions: The Great Escape Winter Promotion 2013

• The Great Escape voucher is valid from 25 January 2013 until 31 March 2013 and is the property of RSPB.
    • This may not be used in conjunction with any other offers.
    • Offer valid at the specified reserve only and can only be used once at each location.
    • Only one voucher per family, youths under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
    • There are no cash alternatives.
    • The RSPB reserves the right to refuse redemption if we…
  • Big Garden Birdwatch is coming! Jan 26-27 and you can register online now.

I am genuinely excited about this!

Not only have a we got a fantastic event on at the Forum in Norwich but I've moved house so get to do the Big Garden Birdwatch for a whole new garden.

I've started preparing already. I'm saving my yoghurt pots to make some fatty seed feeders and I'm putting seed out on the bird table (a disused patio table, there's no glamour there) each morning.
    The great thing?…

• The Great Escape!

I walked into work this morning fresh with thoughts about a new year, a new calendar and new adventures. It’s amazing how therapeutic a clean slate is. It’s the 2 January and heading back to work feels the same, but different! It’s funny how we take to a new year, with renewed enthusiasm, the promise of making a change for the better. The irony being that every year, we say the same things!

I arrived…