• Blogs of 2012: does exactly what it says on the tin...

It’s been a blogging good year and what better way to round it up than a look back at what had us talking in 2012.

January – we defied the convention of New Year diets and made January all about food on our blog.
    We paired up with Dozen Bakery and Pulse Cafe Bar, both in Norwich and both kind enough to dominate a product or two to raise some money for the RSPB. 

February – a beautiful, nostalgic b…

• Two turtle doves need new names!

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me … two turtle doves.

26 December is, as the traditional Christmas song goes, the second day of Christmas and the Operation Turtle Dove partnership is launching an exciting competition today!

Operation Turtle Dove is a new partnership triggered by the impending crisis facing turtle doves. However, the partnership logo of the special symbolic doves of love…

• RSPB offers fantastic opportunity to kick start a career in conservation this Christmas - I did it, and so could you!

Are you looking to develop a career in conservation, or maybe you're disillusioned with your job and want to make a difference in a new area or work?

This is an opportunity that's close to my heart because I actually started out with the RSPB in this very internship!
    It's a great way in and I got the experience I needed to get into a career in conservation. 
    It's also really good fun and you get to meet…

• A lunchtime refresher

I just popped outside for a gulp of cool, fresh air here at the Norwich office. I was rewarded for braving the chilly December afternoon by the sight of 5 different birds..in less than 5 minutes! 

A pair of black birds, a magpie, wood pigeons, a wren and a black headed gull!

It just goes to show that you don't need to go hiking into the mountains to feel closer to nature (although hiking in the mountains is nice too…

• 'Look, the star!' - getting arty at RSPB Minsmere - a blog by Ian Barthorpe

Midwinter Star is the first temporary art work by Minsmere’s artist in residence Liz McGowan. This two and a half metre diameter star is made from reeds and can be seen in the North Bushes, close to the main path from the Minsmere visitor centre to the sea.  

Liz says, ”This star was inspired by my memory of visiting a reedbed on a frosty winter’s day and seeing the banks of reeds shining golden in the slanting sunlight…

• What's happening at RSPB Fowlmere - by Doug Radford, Site Manager

Sunday was too nice a day to spend indoors, so in the afternoon I wrapped up warm and walked round the reserve. Lots of other people had the same idea and the car park was almost full, but the advantage of the circular trail is that you don't see many people as long as you all walk in the same direction at the same pace.

Redwing by Chris Gomersall (rspb-images.com)

The hawthorn bushes were alive with redwings, but…

• Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin' ...

This season, Father Christmas and the RSPB are working together to bring you magical Reindeer Food. On Christmas Eve, sprinkle the food onto your garden. Make a wish for Father Christmas to visit you. The smell of this delicious food will guide him to your home and the best bit is any food the reindeer leave behind will be gobbled up by your garden birds for their Christmas lunch!

The elves have been busy, cutting…

• Feisty friend

Have you ever had that experience when you get up really early in the morning, it’s still dark and no-one else is awake? For a short time, while the sky is magical with wispy waves of star glitter, you could be the only person on the planet.  I used to get this feeling when I was younger and I had a paper round in the mornings. Especially in January and February, when it can be bitterly cold and eerily quiet. Now…